Faculty & Staff - Allan
118 Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5749
Associate Professor – Higher Educational Leadership
Ph.D.: Educational Policy & Leadership focus in Women’s Studies 1999, The Ohio State University
M.S. Health Education & Promotion 1988, Springfield College
B.S. Psychology 1986, Springfield College
Courses taught at UMaine
- EDU 690: Doctoral Seminar: Social Context of Higher Education
- HED 561: Theories of Student Development in Higher Education
- HED 562: Impact of College on Students
- EDS 571: Introduction to Qualitative Research
- HED 608: Seminar in Student Development in Higher Education
- EDU 590: Issues in College Teaching
- HED 690: Internship in Higher Education
- EDS 676: Doctoral Seminar: Introduction to Inquiry
- HED 610: Masters Capstone: Case Studies in Higher Education
- EDU 690: Advanced Qualitative Research
- University Women’s Commissions
- Policy Discourse Analysis
- Diversity, Multiculturalism & Curriculum Development
- Classroom Climate and College Teaching
- College Student Development
- Gender & Higher Education
- Qualitative Research Methodology
- Gender & Leadership
University and Public Service
- University Teaching Council, UMaine
- Service-Learning Leadership Team, Center for Teaching Excellence, UMaine
- Human Subjects Committee member, College of Education & Human Development, UMaine
- Women’s Studies Advisory Committee
- Co-founder and manager of www.stophazing.org–a website that provides full text of state anti-hazing laws, relevant news articles and strategies for eliminating hazing. Featured in: The New York Times, Good Housekeeping, Teen People, Scholastic Magazine, Congressional Quarterly, PBS, and other popular magazines as well as newspapers, radio shows and television.
- Anti-violence Educator/Trainer. Founder of Peer Power! a grant-funded project designed to train undergraduate students to provide anti-violence education using a gender studies approach with middle and high school students.
- Hazing Education and Prevention consultant and speaker
Editorial Board Member:
- Journal of College Student Development
- Journal of Research in Rural Education
Representative Publications & Conference Presentations
- Allan, E. J. & Madden, M. (forthcoming 2006). Chilly classrooms for female undergraduate students at a research university: A question of method? The Journal of Higher Education.
- *Allan, E. J. & Iverson, S. V. (forthcoming 2006). Cultivating critical consciousness: Service learning in higher education. INQUIRY: Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines 23(2).
- *Allan, E. J. & Estler, S. E. (2005). Diversity, privilege and us: Collaborative curriculum transformation among Educational Leadership faculty. Innovative Higher Education. 29(3), 209-232.
- *Allan, E. J. (2003). Constructing Women’s Status: Policy Discourses of University Women’s Commissions. Harvard Educational Review, 73(1), 44-72.
- *Allan, E. J., Hoff, D. & Estler, S. D. (2003). Dilemmas of (In)Difference for Maine Educators: Advancing an Agenda for Change. Journal of Maine Education. (to be published in Spring 2004).
- *Allan, E. J. (April 2003). Silence: An Effect of Privilege. With Estler, S., Hoff, D. Allan, E. and G. Donaldson. Difference, Disadvantage, Privilege and Us: Grassroots Educational Leadership Faculty Development for More Inclusive Schools. Symposium for the American Educational Research Association National Meeting, Chicago.
- • Allan, E. J. (April 2003). Bringing voice to the silences of privilege: A case study of strategies for faculty development and curricular change. 4th Annual Conference on White Privilege. Central College, Pella, Iowa.
- *Allan, E.J. (2003). Responding to Hazing Incidents: Building Character and Community on Campus. Association for Student Judicial Affairs International Meeting. Presentation. February, 2003. Clearwater Beach, FL.
- Allan, E. J. (2003). Hazing in High School and College. In Kimmel, M. & Aronson, A. (Eds.). Men and Masculinities: A Social, Cultural and Historical Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Allan, E. J. (2003). Athletic Team Hazing. In Kimmel, M. & Aronson, A. (Eds.). Men and Masculinities: A Social, Cultural and Historical Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Allan, E. J. (2002). Classroom Climates in Postsecondary Education. In A. M. Aleman & K. A. Renn (Eds.). Women in Higher Education: An Encyclopedia. (pp. 282-287). Santa Barbara, CA; ABC-CLIO.
- Allan, E. J. (2003). Gender and Hazing: Analyzing the Obvious. In Nuwer, H. (Ed.). The Hazing Reader: Examining Rites Gone Wrong in Fraternities, Professional & Amateur Athletics, High Schools and the Military. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Allan, E.. J. & Iverson S. (2003). Initiating Change: Transforming a Hazing Culture. In Nuwer, H. (Ed.). The Hazing Reader: Examining Rites Gone Wrong in Fraternities, Professional & Amateur Athletics, High Schools and the Military. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Allan, E. J. (2002). Feminist Analyses of Leadership: Selected Works. Published in Women’s Studies Database Bibliographies. http://www.inform.umd.edu/ws/Bibliographies.
- Allan, E. J. & DeAngelis, G. (in press). Hazing, Masculinity and Collision Sports: (Un)Becoming Heroes. In Johnson, J. & Holman, M. (Eds.). Welcome to the Machine: Inside the World of Sport Hazing and Initiations. Canadian Scholars Press.
- *Allan, E. J. & Estler, S. (April 2002). Difference, Disadvantage, Privilege and Us: Examining Meanings of Diversity Among Educational Leadership Faculty. Paper Session. American Educational Research Association National Meeting, New Orleans.
- *Allan, E. J. & Iverson, S. (2002). Beyond Whistles and Wallet Cards: Discourses of Sexual Assault Policies. National conference of National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. Boston, MA.
- *Allan, E. J. (March 2000). Constructing Women’s Status: University Women’s Commission Reports and Equity Policy in Academe. Women’s Lives, Women’s Voices, Women’s Solutions: Shaping a National Agenda for Women in Higher Education, National Teleconference Proceedings. University of Minnesota.
- Allan, E. J. (1999). Women Administrators: What Do We Know; What Do We Need to Know; and Where Should We Go From Here? Research Symposium Panelist. Annual Meeting of the Association for the Study of Higher Education. San Antonio, TX.
- Allan, E. (1998). Education. In Reading Women’s Lives: An Introduction to Women’s Studies. (pp. 177-182). Simon & Schuster Custom Publishing.
- Visiting Assistant Professor 1999-2000, Department of Women’s Studies, The Ohio State University
- Case Manager 1993-1995; Office of Community Development & Student Judicial Affairs, The Ohio State University
- Assistant Director of Student Activities 1990-1993, University of New Hampshire
- Emerging Leader Program Coordinator, University of New Hampshire
- Residence Hall Director, 1986-1988
- Office of Residential Life, Springfield College
Professional Memberships & Honor Societies
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for the Study of Higher Education
- American College Personnel Association
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
- American Association of University Women
- Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
- Psi Chi, Psychology Academic Honor Society
Elizabeth Allan Vitae (HTML)
Elizabeth Allan Vitae (Word)
Image Description: Elizabeth Allan
Back to Faculty & Staff