The MBA - Application Process
The Maine Business School welcomes well qualified students from around the U.S. and the world!
Or, Download Application Forms:
Admission to The University of Maine MBA program is competitive. Candidates for the MBA are encouraged to apply early though complete applications are reviewed on a rolling admission basis.
A complete application must include the following:
- Graduate Application
- Essay, articulating goals and objectives for earning an MBA
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official college/university transcripts from all schools attended
- Official GMAT scores taken within the last 5 years
- CV or Resume, optional (Required for Professional MBA)
- Graduate application fee payment
Review of a candidate’s application for consideration of admission with copies is conducted; however, an admission decision to the MBA Graduate Program is subject to receipt of original documents.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred. All prerequisites for the MBA must each have a grade of B- minimum. Candidates are also expected to have strong analytical, math, writing, and presentation skills. Full admission is based on meeting all prerequisites, academic standards, satisfactory GMAT scores, and all requirements. Conditional or provisional admission is possible.
GMAT Score: Applicants must submit official GMAT scores taken within the last five years. A GMAT score of 550 is preferred; no less than 500. GMAT scores less than 500 considered for conditional admission providing other strong qualifications are demonstrated in the application. GMAT website: http://www.gmac.com/gmat.aspx
Letters of Recommendation: Letters should be of high quality from credible sources; i.e., from current or former supervisors, current or former professors, those who can comment on the candidate’s academic strengths, work ethic, responsibilities and accomplishments, career advancement, managerial experience, and predictable success in the MBA program.
Communication Skills: Demonstrated, in part, by the application essay; an opportunity for the candidate to describe important attributes not apparent from the rest of the application, and also to convey one’s unique background, philosophy, goals and objectives, character, and ability to add value to The University of Maine ‘s Graduate Program. The essay is evaluated not only for content, but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths.
International candidates for the MBA must provide the following items in addition to their Graduate application materials (as delineated above):
- A copy of a valid passport (photo page only)
- An original financial or bank certificate, in English, indicating $ USD funds of $34,000 minimum (required by the U.S. Department of State)
- If transferrring from another U.S. institution, a copy of a valid F1, J1, or non-immigrant visa (photo page only) and a copy of the current I-20 or DS 2019
- If graduating from an overseas university with a bachelor’s degree, an official WES Course-by-Course Report: http://www.wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp. Or, an ECE Course-by-Course Report ordered via: https://www.ece.org/
- (WES, ECE not required if overseas university coursework was taught in English)
- English Language Proficiency:
- Original iBT TOEFL score report of 81 or IELTS Bandscore 6.5 (no subscores below 6.0), ELS 112, or TOEIC comparable score or graduation from an ESL program from a U.S. institution (within 2 years). When ordering TOEFL score, use Institution Code 3916.
- Note: English proficiency scores are waived if the student has successfully completed at least 2 years of undergraduate coursework, or has graduated from a U.S. college/university, or has an overseas degree taught exclusively in English
- Students may be admitted provisionally to the MBA with the need for the Intensive English Institute training at UMaine.
For personalized service, please contact:
Carol L. Mandzik, MBA
Manager of MBA Programs, Executive Education & Internships
Associate Graduate Faculty
The University of Maine
Maine Business School
5723 DP Corbett Business Building, Rm 209
Orono, Maine 04469