Transfer Students Frequently Asked Questions

The Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Conservation Biology (WFCB) welcomes transfer students to the program. Approximately one-half of the students graduating with B.S. degrees in Wildlife Ecology each year are transfer students. Those transfer students are split evenly between external transfers (from other universities or colleges) or internal transfers (from other programs at UMaine).

As an external transfer student, how many of my credits from my current or past university or college courses will transfer to the University of Maine?

The transcripts you submit with your admissions application will be evaluated by the Office of Student Records to determine the UMaine course equivalents of the courses you have completed at other universities or colleges. In some cases, there will not be an exact course match at UMaine for one of your courses, but UMaine usually accepts your credits for a general subject area and the course level. Department undergraduate coordinators make decisions on accepting courses to meet specific course requirements for majors. You are welcome to contact the undergraduate coordinator of the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Conservation Biology for a preliminary assessment of your courses relative to Wildlife Ecology degree requirements.

With two years of coursework at another university, will I be able to complete a B.S. degree at UMaine in four total years?

Much will depend on the curriculum at your past or current university. A substantial proportion of the Wildlife Ecology curriculum is comprised of liberal arts and basic sciences such as English, math, biology, chemistry, public speaking, economics, and social sciences; therefore, it is common for students to have completed most of those courses before transferring. The suggested wildlife ecology curriculum on this website is intended for students entering as first-year students. There is flexibility in course scheduling for transfer students. For example, the key wildlife ecology courses in years 2-4 can be compressed into years 3-4, and this approach is commonly taken by transfer students in our program. However, it is not unusual for external transfer students to extend their degree program to 4 ½ years.

If I am currently in a degree program at UMaine and I am considering transferring to Wildlife Ecology, what is my first step?

The first step is to make an appointment with the undergraduate coordinator of the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Conservation Biology. We will do our best to explain the program, answer your questions about the wildlife science profession, and assess your situation. We also encourage you to enroll in WLE 100 to “explore” the Wildlife Ecology program.

If I do not meet transfer requirements, can I get advice from a Wildlife Ecology advisor on the transfer process and course selection to stay on track?

The undergraduate coordinator of the Department will provide advice on course selection and information on the program.