Research partnerships internal to UMaine
School of Economics faculty are connected to a wide range of research units and organization across the entire University of Maine.
Gary Hunt is cooperating faculty at the Advanced Structures and Composites Center, working on offshore wind energy economics and AFRI cellulose-to-algae bio-oil economics.
As members of the Mitchell Center for Sustainability Solutions, Kathleen Bell, Caroline Noblet, Mario Teisl, Tim Waring, and Travis Blackmer research policies and programs to enhance economic, social and environmental sustainability.
SEANET balances social concerns with the health of coastal ecosystems to create an economically viable aquaculture industry. Faculty involved include Mario Teisl, Caroline Noblet, Xuan Chen, and Keith Evans.
Mario Teisl and Kathleen Bell are members of the Center for Research on Sustainable Forests, working on environmental marketing approaches for forest products and changing of the economics of forest landscapes.
George Criner, Gary Hunt, Jonathan Rubin and Mario Teisl are cooperating faculty in the School of Policy and International Affairs; they teach and work on international economic and environmental issues.
One of 33 NOAA Sea Grant programs throughout coastal and Great Lake States, Sea Grant Maine works on topics related to Maine’s coastal communities. Faculty involved include Mario Teisl, Caroline Noblet, James McConnon, Todd Gabe, Xuan Chen, Keith Evans, and Kathleen Bell.
The majority of faculty have been involved with the Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station, whose aim is to study agriculture and food sciences, forestry and wood products, fisheries and aquaculture, wildlife, outdoor recreation, and rural economic development.
Research partnerships external to UMaine
SOE faculty work with researchers affiliated with several government and research institutions:
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Maine Center for Disease Control & Prevention
- Maine Public Utilities Commission
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection
- Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
- Maine National Guard
- Maine Department of Marine Resources
- Eastern Maine Health Care System
- Acadia Hospital
- Symphony Health Solutions
- Island Institute
- Maine Development Foundation
- over 30 Maine municipalities
- Natural Resources Council of Maine
- Maine Food Strategy
- Maine Healthy Beaches
Other U.S. Universities
- University of New Hampshire
- The Ohio State University
- North Carolina State University
- Bates, Bowdoin and Colby Colleges
- Iowa State University
- College of the Atlantic
- France: University of Montpellier; French National Institute for Agricultural Research; Joint Research Unit in Public Economics – AgroParisTech
- Croatia: The Institute of Economics Zagreb