COMMUNITY OUTREACH SPECIALIST
Bangor Area Recovery Network, Inc. (BARN)
JOB DESCRIPTION – COMMUNITY OUTREACH SPECIALIST
Updated Nov 27, 2019
Supervised By: The BARN’s Executive Director
Hours: 40 Hours per week
Basic Purpose: In coordination with the team of the Bangor Area Recovery Network, oversee community outreach for recovery community center serving the substance use disorder recovery community in the greater Bangor/Brewer area, including social media and online recovery support.
Qualifications preference given to person in recovery from substance use disorder if all else is equal.
- A valid driver’s license and access to transportation
- CCAR graduate or willingness to obtain same.
- Personal characteristics of maturity and professionalism with a sincere desire to work with substance use disorder recovering individuals and the recovery community;
- An appreciation and affinity for those persons in substance use disorder recovery as well as an understanding of the recovery community;
- Possess strong leadership qualities and the ability to project a positive community image.
- Demonstrates ability to write, organize and prioritize time, effectively communicates and works as a team member;
- Sincere desire to and understanding of working with individuals who are recovering from substance use disorder;
- Demonstrate the ability to work flexibly and capable of regional and/or statewide travel;
- Demonstrated ability to work with community groups to support the development of substance use disorder recovery-ready communities;
- Demonstrated competency in social media and online supports;
- Clear understanding of barriers faced by those in recovery from a substance use disorder.
- Knowledge of broader regional, state, and national recovery initiatives in the development of recovery support services.
- Ability to partner with community groups to assist in development of recovery ready communities
Key Result Areas:
- Build upon and maintain the infrastructure for BARN’s recovery community center, with specific elements related to recovery community and recovery ready communities;
- Develop and maintain linkages with employment programs and employment, housing development and coordination for the recovery community, and educational systems and programs that may benefit the recovery community;
- Continue to develop and maintain BARN’s social media outreach, electronic newsletters, and website capacity;
- Increased opportunities for members of the recovery community to obtain the necessary community resources to support recovery at all stages of the recovery continuum;
- To coordinate support provided by the Bangor Area Recovery Network, such as recovery coaching and other recovery support services, such as volunteer opportunities, with community development functions.
- Expand BARN’s community organization and development activities;
- Participate in the development and implementation of other peer support services, events and programs, provided by the BARN, now and in the future;
- Collaborate with community partners and internal programs in a timely and effective manner;
- Establish and implement programs and activities consistent with current and future grant agreements, particularly with those that address the community barriers to recovery;
- Maintain social media and other online recovery supports, including BARN’s website;
- Document activities and outcomes consistent with grant agreements as may be required;
- Responsible for serving as the formal liaison between the BARN and Holyoke Haven;
- Conduct requested outreach services within the community and maintain knowledge of community resources;
- Provides leadership and work within recovery community and the community at-large;
- Provide leadership and work with committees and/or on special projects in coordination with BARN and community activities;
- Collaborate with BARN’s Volunteer Coordinator and Recovery Coach Coordinator to ensure appropriate volunteer placement, support, and advancement to self-sufficiency.
The classification of this position is considered non-exempt from the pay provisions of the Fair Labor and Standards Act. By signing below, I acknowledge that I have read and accept this job description