Senthil S. Vel, Ph.D.
Arthur O. Willey Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 214
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-2777; email@example.com
PhD in Engineering Mechanics from Virginia Tech, 1998
- National Science Foundation Proposal Review Panelist, 2002, 2005, 2007
- Proposal reviewer for Air Force Office of Scientific Research, 2003
- Proposal reviewer for the Austrian Science Foundation Erwin Schrodinger Fellowship Program, 2014
- Co-organizer of the 15th International Conference on Adaptive Structures and Technologies, Maine, 2004
- Organized the mini-symposium on Design of Material Composition Distribution at the Multiscale and Functionally Graded Materials Conference, Hawaii, 2006
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Modeling, Analysis and Control of Mechanical Systems; Mechanics of Composite Materials; Advanced Strength of Materials; Intro to the Finite Element Method; Mechanics of Laminated Composite Structures; Theory of Elasticity.
Research Areas: (Expanded View)
- Mechanics of Composite Materials
- Computational Solid Mechanics
- Micromechanical Modeling of Heterogeneous Materials
- Multiscale Modeling
- Thermoelastic properties, seismic anisotropy and creep of rocks, ice and polycrystalline materials
- NSF, ONR
Select Research / Collaboration Activities
- Design of functionally graded materials using genetic algorithms, NSF
- Structural response of hybrid ship connections subjected to fatigue loads, ONR
- Multiscale analysis of geological structures that influence crustal seismic anisotropy, NSF
- Integrated analytical-computational analysis of microstructural influences on seismic anisotropy, NSF
- Origin and vertical extent of damage zones around continental strike-slip faults, NSF
Select Publications / Presentations (*Student)
- Pelletier*, J.L., Vel, S.S., “Multi-objective optimization of fiber reinforced composite laminates for strength, stiffness and minimal mass”, Computers & Structures, 84: 2065-2080, 2006.
- Vel, S.S., “Exact elasticity solution for the vibration of functionally graded anisotropic cylindrical shells”, Composite Structures, 92: 2712–2727, 2010.
- Vel, S.S., Cook*, A.C, Johnson, S.E., Gerbi, C., “Computational homogenization and micromechanical analysis of textured polycrystalline materials”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 310:749-779, 2016.
- Vel, S.S., Goupee*, A.J., “Multiscale thermoelastic analysis of random heterogeneous materials. Part I: Microstructure characterization and homogenization of material properties”, Computational Materials Science, 48: 22-38, 2010.
- Cook*, A.C., Vel, S.S., Gerbi, C., Johnson, S.E., “Computational analysis of nonlinear creep of polyphase aggregates: Influence of phase morphology”, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 119: 6877–6906, 2014.
Professional Activities / Memberships
- ASME Fellow