Senthil S. Vel, Ph.D.
Arthur O. Willey Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
Ferland Engineering Education and Design Center, Room 257
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-2777; email@example.com
Ph.D. in Engineering Mechanics from Virginia Tech, 1998
Laminated Composite Structures Textbook
Research and Educational Software
- National Science Foundation Proposal Review Panelist.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2016.
- Co-organizer of the 15th International Conference on Adaptive Structures and Technologies, Maine, 2004.
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Mechanics of Composite Materials; Advanced Strength of Materials; Intro to the Finite Element Method; Theory of Elasticity; Mechanics of Laminated Composite Structures.
Research Areas: (More Information)
- Mechanics of Composite Materials
- Computational Solid Mechanics
- Micromechanical Modeling of Heterogeneous Materials
- Multiscale Modeling
- Thermoelastic properties, seismic anisotropy and creep of rocks, ice and polycrystalline materials
- NSF, ONR
Select Research / Collaboration Activities
- Design of functionally graded materials using genetic algorithms, NSF
- Structural response of hybrid ship connections subjected to fatigue loads, ONR
- Multiscale analysis of geological structures that influence crustal seismic anisotropy, NSF
- Integrated analytical-computational analysis of microstructural influences on seismic anisotropy, NSF
- Origin and vertical extent of damage zones around continental strike-slip faults, NSF
Select Publications / Presentations (*Student)
- Vel, S.S., Cook*, A.C, Johnson, S.E., Gerbi, C., Computational homogenization and micromechanical analysis of textured polycrystalline materials, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 310:749-779, 2016.
- Cook*, A.C., Vel, S.S., Gerbi, C., Johnson, S.E., Computational analysis of nonlinear creep of polyphase aggregates: Influence of phase morphology, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 119: 6877–6906, 2014.
- Vel, S.S., Goupee*, A.J., Multiscale thermoelastic analysis of random heterogeneous materials. Part I: Microstructure characterization and homogenization of material properties, Computational Materials Science, 48: 22-38, 2010.
- Pelletier*, J.L., Vel, S.S., Multi-objective optimization of fiber reinforced composite laminates for strength, stiffness and minimal mass, Computers & Structures, 84: 2065-2080, 2006.
- Vel S.S., Batra R.C., Three-dimensional exact solution for the vibration of functionally graded rectangular plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 272: 703-730, 2004.
Professional Activities / Memberships
- ASME Fellow