Mission, Goals & Objectives
Our mission is to educate students for success in the field of mechanical engineering by providing academic programs that promote engineering principles, experiential learning, critical thinking, creative problem-solving, teamwork, leadership and outreach, and to pursue innovative research and scholarly achievement for advancing the State and developing technology solutions to societal needs.
- Provide high-quality education in mechanical engineering at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Conduct basic and applied research in mechanical engineering and related areas.
- Provide service to the profession, the State of Maine, and beyond.
The graduates of the UMaine Mechanical Engineering Program, within a few years after graduation, are expected to:
- Successfully practice mechanical engineering in roles of increasing responsibility to serve state, local, national, and international industries and government agencies.
- Demonstrate a spirit of lifelong learning by pursuing professional licensure, graduate education, short courses or other training programs in engineering or related fields.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical responsibilities towards peers, employers, and society and follow these precepts in their daily lives.
- Participate in their community and in so doing advocate for the profession.