Appointments: Co-director, MicroInstruments & Systems Laboratory (MISL)
Address: 5708 ESRB-Barrows, Room 157
- 1982 Ph.D. Bioengineering, University of Utah
- 1977 B.S. Electrical and Biomedical Electronics Engineering, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI
- The theme of Professor Smith’s research is the application of interdisciplinary knowledge to engineer new molecular and cellular measurement and/or manipulation methods and tools. Her projects typically involve micro and nanofabrication of devices and instruments, materials process engineering and microfluidics. Current projects include the fabrication, packaging and testing of microfluidic devices for the study of stem cell differentiation, and their response to their microenvironment.
- Microfabricated sensors,actuators, instruments and systems
- Biomedical microdevices
- Microfluidic devices and instruments
- Micro and nano fabrication technology
- Semiconductor devices
C. J. Demers, P. Soundararajan, G. A. Cox, J. Briscoe, P. Chennampally. S .D. Collins, and R. L. Smith, DEVELOPMENT-ON-CHIP: IN VITRO NEURAL TUBE PATTERNING WITH A MICROFLUIDIC DEVICE, Development, 143, 1884-1892, (2016). doi:10.1242/dev.126847
J. Millis, L. Connell, S. D. Collins and R. L. Smith, A MICROFABRICATED, FLOW DRIVEN MILL FOR THE MECHANICAL LYSIS OF ALGAE, Proceedings of the IEEE MEMS 2015 Conference, Portugal, 18-22 January 2015, pgs. 188-191. doi:10.1109/MEMSYS.2015.7050918
J. Duy, S. D. Collins, R. L. Smith and L. B. Connell, A FIELD-DEPLOYABLE COLORIMETRIC BIOASSAY FOR THE RAPID AND SPECIFIC DETECTION OF RIBOSOMAL RNA, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 52, 433–437 (2014).
Z. R. Smith, R. L. Smith and S. D. Collins, MECHANISM OF NANOWIRE FORMATION IN METAL ASSISTED CHEMICAL ETCHING, Electrochimica Acta, 92(3): 139-147 (2013).
P. S. Spinney, D. G. Howitt, R. L. Smith and S. D. Collins, FABRICATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF A SOLID -STATE NANOPORE WITH SELF-ALIGNED CARBON NANOELECTRODES FOR MOLECULAR DETECTION, Nanotechnology, 23(13) Article Number: 135501 (2012). doi:10.1088/0957-4484/23/13/135501
P. S. Spinney, D. G. Howitt, R. L. Smith and S. D. Collins, NANOPORE FORMATION BY LOW-ENERGY FOCUSED ELECTRON BEAM MACHINING, Nanotechnology, 21(37), article 375301 (2010).
C. J. Demers, R. L. Smith and S. D. Collins, MICROFLUIDIC DEVICE for the COMBINATORIAL APPLICATION and MAINTENANCE of DYNAMICALLY IMPOSED DIFFUSIONAL GRADIENTS, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 9(4-5), 613-622 (2010).
Updated: December 2016