Welcome to Caswell!
According to Aroostook.me, “Caswell originally known as the Township of F.R. 1 and organized as Pleasant Ridge Plantation in 1878. The town was reorganized in 1879 and was named after the first settler, R.S. Caswell. The Township consisted of a six- mile square land plot and was considered a good piece of land by Caswell. The land was rich and fertile with plenty of timber for use in building homes. Charles Herd, one of the first settlers after Caswell moved in with his family and other settlers followed.
Historically, there have been many small farms in the Caswell area. Loring Air Force Base was built in the 1950’s and was a hub of activity in the area. When it was closed in 1994, it was redeveloped by the Loring Development Authority as the Loring Commerce Centre, an industrial and aviation park. Now, Caswell’s 41.56 square miles is hosts Aroostook National Wildlife Refuge and a few small, locally-owned businesses.
- Aroostook National Wildlife Refuge 97 Refuge Rd, Limestone, ME 04750 | (207) 328-4634
- Part of former Loring Air Force Base, Aroostook National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) was founded in 1998 when 4,700 acres were transferred from the U.S. Air Force to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Discover other activities in Limestone!
- Maine’s Traveling Gourmet 1618 Van Buren Rd, Caswell, ME 04750 | (207) 325-6067
- Visit this food truck to customize your own burger or choose from their various well-prepared options.
- View more dining options in Limestone.
- See great lodging options nearby, in Limestone!
Shops & Services
Most of the shops and services can be found in nearby Limestone such as
- Parent’s Country Store 1648 Van Buren Rd, Limestone, ME 04750 | (207) 325-4182
- Known locally as PCS, this family-run store offers everything from winter gear to whole chickens; there are also four gas pumps right outside the store!
- Check out more shops and services in Limestone.