Charlie Cooper

Charlie Cooper (he/him) is a Ecology and Environmental Sciences major with a concentration in permaculture in the Class of ‘24. Being born and raised in midcoast Maine, I have spent my life appreciating and recreating in Maine’s natural world through my hobbies of gardening, mountain biking, and skiing. I have worked on organic farms and homesteads for 5 seasons, one of which as a MOFGA apprentice. I believe in the importance of acknowledging the personhood of all beings in the beautiful ecological system we are embedded within. I am committed to cultivating a caring and learning community at the Terrell House. My career interests include permaculture homesteading and ecological economics. Feel free to reach out to me at charles.cooper@maine.edu.

Belu Katz

Belu (she/her) is a junior studying Ecology and Environmental Sciences with an individualized concentration in Permaculture Philosophies and Practices. She is interested in looking at the connections between people, land, and food. She was new to permaculture and gardening when she came to UMaine but she has learned a lot and is passionate about cultivating healthy land and community. She has worked on an organic vegetable farm in midcoast Maine, on the university research farm, and at the Orono Community Garden. She is currently the work-study student for the Wilson Center for Spiritual Exploration and Multifaith Dialogue where she coordinates their garden, facilitates weekly song circles, and helps with other programming tasks. Besides gardening, she enjoys playing outside, contra dancing, and making music. You can contact her at shira.katz@maine.edu

Eddie Nachamie

Eddie Nachamie (he/him) is a sophomore studying Ecology and Environmental Sciences with a concentration in forest ecosystems. He also has a minor in Environmental Ethics. Prior to coming to UMaine, Eddie worked with AmeriCorps NCCC and spent time living on a farm in Arkansas and working at a food security nonprofit in Wyoming. These experiences stoked his interest in gardening and farming. Eddie spent his first year at UMaine working with the Mitchell Center for Sustainability Solutions on a project to reduce food waste in elementary school cafeterias. He is also a regular volunteer at the Wilson Center and works at Lilia’s Cuban Cafe. He enjoys cultivating community, helping out, and laughing with others. He’s an avid runner, hiker, and swimmer who enjoys the outdoors whenever he can. Reach out to Eddie at edward.nachamie@maine.edu

Jules Claybaugh

Office of Sustainability
312-314 Corbett Hall
Orono, Maine 04469-5774
Tel: 207.581.1571
sustainability@maine.edu