UMPD Firearms Guide
University of Maine Police Department
On-Campus firearms guide
Weapons and ammunition are potential safety hazards. Possession, use, or display of a weapon or ammunition are inappropriate in an academic community for any reason other then protection of University of Maine employees, facility, students, and members of the public invited on campus as allowed by law, board of trustees policies, and policies of the University of Maine.
Definitions of Weapons and Ammunition:
A weapon is defined as: an instrument of offensive or defensive combat, something to fight with, and is generally any device capable of projecting a ball, pellet, arrow, bullet, missile, shell, or other material. This shall include, but not limited to, firearms, bows, rockets, and slingshots. Ammunition is any material capable of being projected by a weapon and makes the weapon operational.
Weapons and Ammunition Prohibition:
1. No weapon or ammunition shall be worn, displayed, used, or possessed on campus.
2. Weapons must be stored if on campus under the control of the Chief and in accordance with the policy and procedure of the Police Department
3. The Police Chief of the University of Maine Police Department may grant permission in writing to an individual to possess a weapon or ammunition on campus for instructional purposes and in other special circumstances and under conditions approved by the Police Chief. .
Any employee, faculty, student, or other representative of the University of Maine who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and subject to disciplinary sanctions under the applicable discipline process.
Any member of the public who violates this policy shall be notified of the violation and asked to comply. If the public member will not comply, the individual shall be removed from campus and subject to all legal penalties, including the criminal trespass provision under Maine Law.
All currently licensed law enforcement officers are exempt from this policy.
- Your weapon is to be stored at UMPD ONLY! If you are found with a firearm in your room, or in your vehicle, sanctions will be brought against you, up to, and including expulsion.
- Your weapon must be in a single sized case (hard or soft) for storage at UMPD. This is to ensure the safety of the UMPD personnel handling the weapon, and to minimize the occurrence of an accidental discharge. In lieu of a gun case, your weapon MUST be locked up when brought to UMPD.
- Please try to limit the amount of weapons you bring to Campus. We have limited space and ask that you bring only the weapons that you will be using for the time being. You can always exchange out your weapons for another.
- A picture ID MUST be presented when removing your weapon from UMPD. It MUST also be in the case when being transported on, or off campus. We will not release your weapon to anyone other than who the weapon is registered to. Please do not ask friends, or relatives to retrieve your weapon for you.
UMaine Police Department
81 Rangeley Road
Orono, Maine 04469