Zhihe Jin, Ph.D.
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 226
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-2135; email@example.com
PhD in Engineering Mechanics from Tsinghua University, 1988
- Invitation Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, 2016
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Statics; Strength of Materials; Materials Engineering and Science; Mechanics of Composite Materials; Mechanical Vibrations; Finite Elements in Solid Mechanics; Mechanical Engineering Analysis I
Research Areas: (Expanded View)
- Fracture of engineering materials and structures.
- Thermal stresses and thermal shock failure of advanced ceramics and composites.
- Fluid migration through fracture propagation in geological materials.
- Continuum theory of thermoelectric energy conversion materials.
- JSPS, ACS-PRF, MSGC/NASA
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Thermal fracture of interpenetrating phase composites: A local thermal non-equilibrium theory, JSPS
- Primary migration of oil through self-propagating fractures, ACS-PRF
- Thermoelectric materials and devices: modeling, design and testing, MSGC/NASA
Select Publications / Conference Presentations:
- C. T. Sun and Z.-H. Jin, 2012, Fracture Mechanics, Academic Press, 311 pp.
- Z.-H. Jin, K. Tohgo, T. Fujii, and Y. Shimamura, 2017, Double edge thermal crack problem for an interpenetrating phase composite: Application of a matricity-based thermal conductivity model, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 177,167-179.
- Z.-H. Jin, S. E. Johnson and A. E. Cook, 2015, “Crack extension induced by dissociation of fracture-hosted methane gas hydrate,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 42, pp. 8522-8529.
- L.-W. He, Z.-H. Jin, and Y. Zhang, 2012, “Convective cooling/heating induced thermal stresses in a fluid saturated porous medium undergoing local thermal non-equilibrium,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 748-758.
- Z.-H. Jin and T. T. Wallace, 2015, “Functionally graded thermoelectric materials with arbitrary property gradations: a one-dimensional semi-analytical study,” Journal of Electronic Materials, Vol. 44, pp. 1444-1449.
Professional Activities / Memberships: