The UMS RemoteLab system provides students and faculty with the ability to access academic software typically restricted to physical computer labs from home. This service establishes a remote connection to a Windows PC workstation located in a physical computer lab on one of our campuses. This service supports remote connections from either a home Windows PC or Mac. Software that is currently available through this service includes:
- Microsoft Office
This service does require the use of the new Remote Access VPN.
A Remote Access virtual private network (VPN) is a tool for faculty, staff, and students of the University of Maine System to establish a secure connection to the University network from off-campus. The Remote Access VPN service is most useful when needing to access UMS information systems and/or services from off-site.Common examples of resources that require VPN access include:
- Campus file servers
- Remote Desktop
In addition, those with University managed laptops will be able to conduct more “on-campus” work from off-campus by utilizing the Remote Access VPN.
Software Available for Local Installation by UMaine Faculty, Staff, and& Students
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- The University of Maine does not license Adobe products, but students and departments can purchase individual licenses. Students should reach out to the UM Bookstore for purchasing questions.
- Faculty and staff, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Protect your computer by downloading free antivirus and anti-spyware software here.
- ArcGIS is available for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- ChemDraw Prime version 18
- Activation will be required for individuals who choose to install the software for home, office or personal use. For more details regarding activation, please go to PerkinElmer Informatics.
- Ditto allows windows devices to connect via wireless to share content to select AppleTV devices in centrally scheduled classrooms on campus by entering a room code without requiring wires, dongles or adapters.
- ImageNow Client
- ImageNow is an industry-leading document imaging and management system used by the University to capture and curate physical and digital documents. ImageNow has been in place at the University since 2005 and has been adopted by numerous functional areas across all of the business units in the system.
- JMP Statistical Software
- JMP software from SAS is now available to Faculty, Staff, and Students for installation on university-owned and personal devices.
- MathWorks MatLab
- MATLAB is now available for Faculty, Staff, and Students on personal and university-owned computers.
- Mathematica is available for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Microsoft Office
- UMS faculty, staff, and students may now install Microsoft Office on personal and university-owned computers.
- You may now use your UMS account to sign into all Office products
- Printer Setup
- Add a Canon Copier to a UM PC
- Add a Canon Copier to a UM Mac
- Departmental Pay-for-Print
- NEW!! UMaine PrintFromAnywhere
- SAS is now available to Faculty and Staff to install on University-owned computers.
- Solid Edge
- Solid Edge is a 3D CAD and solid modeling software. The download is available to Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Solidworks is available for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- SPSS Statistics
- SPSS is available to Faculty and Staff ONLY for install on University-owned owned computers.
- UMS provided Virtual Private Network for accessing on-campus resources such as license servers and network shares.
- When visiting the VPN site, please select Remote Access VPN.
- Detailed instructions on how to set up are available here.