Sample Interview Questions
- Why do you want to be a doctor? Describe yourself for me.
- What will you do if you don’t get into med school?
- Were your college courses challenging?
- Tell me about your community service experiences.
- Do you feel your grades reflect your ability? Your MCAT’s?
- What do you do for fun?
- What’s your worst quality, what’s your best?
- How did you get interested in medicine?
- What alternative careers have you investigated?
- Is there anything weak in your record? Why?
- What has been the most difficult challenge in your life?
- How do you plan to combine the responsibilities of a family and a medical career?
- What were your favorite courses? Least favorite?
- Tell me about your most influential professor.
- If you had a choice between one liver transplant or a thousand vaccinations which would you choose and why?
- If you could find a cure for AIDS or for cancer, which would you choose and why?
- What do you think about condoms being distributed in high schools?
- Should people have the right to sell their own organs?
- Do you think it’s ethical to take the life of a fetus for a cell line to save the life of a sibling with cancer?
- You have to amputate one of the legs of an eight-year-old child. How would you tell them?
- Would you give a transfusion to a child whose parents were Jehovah’s Witnesses?
- What are your views on euthanasia?
- What do you think about euthenics (not euthanasia)?
- How do you feel about animal research?
- Should we spend so much time and effort trying to keep premature infants alive?
- What do you think is the primary reason people don’t get into med school?
- What one characteristic must a doctor possess?
- If you were called to congress to come up with the perfect healthcare system what exactly would it be?
- Do you actually know what a doctor’s day is like?
- Why would someone from Canada come to the U.S. to receive healthcare and why would somebody from the U.S. go to Canada for health care?
- What have you recently read in the media about medical issues?
- What is the greatest problem facing medicine today?
- What would you do about the alcoholism problem in this country?
- Is health care a right or a privilege?
- How would you organize health care in a perfect world?
- What do you think should be done with patients who can’t pay for treatment?
- As a physician, would you perform abortions? Under what conditions?
- What should a physician’s role be in the politics of abortion
- What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?
- What is the biggest problem family practitioners face?
- What do you consider the most important thing medicine has done for humanity?
Source: Stoll, M. (2007). Best 168 medical schools (2007 ed.). New York: Random House