Communications in the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development entails presenting the story and maintaining the image of COEHD to all college constituencies, including the media, public and UMaine community.
The COEHD communications coordinator works with the Division of Marketing and Communications, other communicators at UMaine and at other UMS campuses, as well as external organizations to provide several services, including:
- Newswriting and media relations
- Graphic Design
- Photography and video production
- Web-based services
- Social media
By necessity, the COEHD communications coordinator is a generalist. For many projects, they need to work with a specialist or another communicator to meet certain needs. Estimated timelines for various projects are listed below. However, timelines may vary depending on the time of year or the volume of requests. When in doubt, faculty and staff should let the communications coordinator know about their needs as far in advance as possible.
- News Releases/Announcements: 1-3 weeks depending on the nature of the request
- Graphic Design: 2 weeks for simple jobs (e.g., event/program flyers); allow at least a month for more involved projects (e.g., brochures/viewbooks) and anything that involves printing
- Photo/Video: 2-3 weeks for photo requests; at least a month for video, longer if the project involves multiple subjects and a lot of editing
- Website: A couple of days for simple changes (e.g., updating faculty or program pages); 2-3 weeks for more complex projects (e.g., landing pages)
If you need a vector logo for a large-format print project, contact Casey Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org. For most other projects, please download and use the image below:
Zoom’s virtual background feature allows you to select and display an image or video behind you instead of showing your real surroundings. To allow Zoom to detect the difference between you and your background, this feature works best with:
- Uniform lighting
- A solid color behind you
- Clothing that is a different color than your selected virtual background
In addition to Zoom’s default options, you can upload a custom virtual background. The College of Education and Human Development created some COEHD-branded backgrounds for use during lectures, appointments, meetings, etc.
In addition, you can find more generic UMaine-branded backgrounds at the Division of Marketing & Communications website.
University of Maine’s branding standards
The Division of Marketing & Communications offers studio portrait sessions for faculty, staff and students twice a month. Due to demand, you must schedule your appointment in advance. The portrait sessions are held the first Tuesday of every month from 8:30-9:30 a.m. and the first Wednesday of the month from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
The Marketing and Communications photo studio is in 213 Alumni Hall. To schedule a portrait, which is free to members of the UMaine community, contact Marketing & Communications at 207.581.3743.
Those having portraits taken are asked to come dressed in attire suitable for a professional photo. Each portrait session takes under 10 minutes. There is a $20 fee for subsequent portrait sessions in the same academic year.
Digital copies of portraits will be provided. They also are added to the Marketing and Communications photo database.
Contact Casey Kelly at email@example.com or 207.581.3751.