George Grindle: Outstanding Student in Secondary Education

A photo of George Grindle.
Photo courtesy George Grindle.

George Grindle is the 2024 Outstanding Student in Secondary Education in the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. Grindle will graduate with a concentration in physical science with a focus on physics education. During his time at UMaine, he served as president of CRU UMaine. Read more below.

Hometown: Orono, Maine

High School: Orono High School

Parents: John Grindle and Beth Haynes

Special thanks: I would like to especially thank my parents, friends and church family for encouraging me to pursue my passion for education through many hard choices. “For every one pupil who needs to be guarded against a weak excess of sensibility there are three who need to be awakened from the slumber of cold vulgarity. The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts” — C.S. Lewis

Favorite UMaine memory: I do not dare attempt to rank my favorite memory of UMaine. I have many fond memories of my college experience for many different reasons. However, one of my fond but mundane memories was taking my motorcycle to my 8:00 a.m. calculus classes. Nearly every day in the fall I got to start my day with a beautiful ride, superb parking (back when motorcycles could park on the mall) and calculus.