Bushra Amil: Outstanding Graduate Student in Literacy, Language and Culture

Bushra Amil is the 2024 Outstanding Graduate Student in Literacy, Language and Culture in the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. Her research interests include language and literacy, applied linguistics, translanguaging and TESOL. Before coming to UMaine she was an English (ESL) teacher in Pakistan. You can read a Q&A with Amil below.

What difference has UMaine made in your life and in helping you reach your goals?

A photo of Bushra Amil.
Photo courtesy Bushra Amil.

UMaine has given me the opportunity to work in a diverse society and helped me gain the confidence to earn expertise in my field of learning and teaching.

Have you had an experience at UMaine that has changed or shaped the way you see the world? If so, tell us about it.

While working at UMaine, I am able to teach and interact with a diverse group of students and people from around the world in an academic setting and this has contributed to shaping both my professional and personal identity. I find UMaine as a junction point of multiculturalism and because of the safe and friendly environment that UMaine provides, I see various cultures blossoming in harmony.

Have you worked closely with a professor or mentor who made your UMaine experience better? If so, tell us about them.

The three people I have worked most closely with are my advisor Dr. Timothy Reagan, Dr. Susan Bennett-Armistead and Dr. Shihfen Tu. They have always provided invaluable support. It’s always been Dr. Reagan whom I most identify with because of his great research insights, excellent teaching style and wonderful disposition. For the two classes I taught at UMaine, Dr. Bennett-Armistead has been my mentor. She is someone I can always count on to support and mentor me, and I look to her for advice on all matters pertinent to my teaching. In addition to being a kind and encouraging faculty member, Dr. Tu has served as an inspiration to me as an administrator. She has consistently given me the encouragement and guidance I need to deal with challenging circumstances.

What advice do you have for incoming graduate students to help them get off to the best start academically?

Stay focused and work hard and you will achieve what you have aimed for.

Why UMaine?

I would say why not UMaine!? After all, this is an R1 university and most importantly, the College of Education and Human Development with its wonderful faculty aligns with my research interests. Other than that, who would not want to live in the beautiful state of Maine?

Favorite UMaine memory:

Going to the dance festival.

Special Thank You message:

I express my gratitude to the faculty of the Literacy, Language and Culture program for their consideration of me for this award. I’ll do everything in my capacity to keep improving and perform better in the future. UMaine has played a big role in who I am today.