Britton Wolfe: Outstanding Scholarly-Practitioner in Educational Leadership Ed.D. Student Award

The Outstanding Scholarly-Practitioner in Educational Leadership Ed.D. Student Award is presented to a student in the University of Maine’s Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) program in educational leadership who has demonstrated a deep dedication to being a steward in the field of education. The recipient understands the importance of connecting theory to practice, addresses inequities through their problem of practice and remains dedicated to their graduate studies to improve outcomes for the communities they serve. Britton (Britt) Wolfe of Hiram, Maine is the recipient of the Outstanding Scholarly-Practitioner in Educational Leadership Ed.D. Student Award (Beacon Black Bear Cohort) for 2024. Wolfe is the principal at Sacopee Valley High School. You can read a Q&A with him below.

What difference has UMaine made in your life and in helping you reach your goals?

A photo of Britton Wolfe.
Photo courtesy Britton Wolfe.

Being part of the Ed.D. cohort has helped me to frame leadership differently. Specifically, it has taught me to have a systems perspective and to think deeply about goal setting around what’s really important. I feel like I am a very different person today than I was in 2020, and it is in large part due to the educational leadership program.

Have you had an experience at UMaine that has changed or shaped the way you see the world? If so, tell us about it.

In November 2023 I was able to present on my dissertation research at the National Rural Education Association (NREA) conference in Chattanooga, Tennessee. This was an amazing networking experience with other scholars and practitioners who care deeply about rural education that I feel very fortunate to have had the privilege of participating in.

Have you worked closely with a professor or mentor who made your UMaine experience better? If so, tell us about them.

Dr. Maria Frankland is my academic advisor and she has been an amazing teacher, mentor and friend. She encouraged me to apply to present at the NREA conference, and without that encouragement I never would have had the confidence to submit a proposal.

What advice do you have for incoming graduate students to help them get off to the best start academically?

Think deeply and carefully about what’s most important to you in terms of study, what you really want to drill down into. Read widely, and get to know the “big names” in your area of focus.

Why UMaine?

I live in western Maine, so being part of the UMaine Ed.D. cohort has given me a whole new network of professional colleagues from the eastern half of the state. Plus, I’m a huge Black Bear hockey fan!

Favorite UMaine memory:

I would have to say the August 2022 Extended Learning Opportunities planning conference at the Wells Conference Center.

Special Thank You message:

I would like to thank all of my colleagues in the Beacon Black Bear Ed.D. cohort for their accumulated wisdom, support and encouragement. You guys rock!