Sam Picard: Outstanding Graduate Student in Special Education (High Incidence Disabilities)

Sam Picard of Bangor, Maine is the 2024 recipient of the Outstanding Graduate Student in Special Education (High Incidence Disabilities) Award. Read a Q&A with Picard below.

What difference has UMaine made in your life and in helping you reach your goals?

A photo of Sam Picard.
Photo courtesy Sam Picard.

My degree has helped me further my understanding of the special education field. I have been able to take so much from what I have learned and apply it directly to my career in special education, helping my students and community.

Have you had an experience at UMaine that has changed or shaped the way you see the world? If so, tell us about it.

Even though all of my classes have been online, I have been able to coordinate with many peers that work in this or similar fields all over the state and country. Hearing their unique experiences has been helpful to the implementation of my work.

Have you worked closely with a professor or mentor who made your UMaine experience better? If so, tell us about them.

I have appreciated all of the guidance and support from my advisor and professor of multiple courses, Sara Flanagan. Her promptness and willingness to answer questions, and help with adjusting things so that I have been able to learn in a way that has best-suited my needs as an educator has been helpful, both learning what I have learned and in my work in a professional capacity.

What advice do you have for incoming graduate students to help them get off to the best start academically? 

Reach out, ask the questions you need, and engage with the work that will be meaningful to your success academically and professionally.

Why UMaine?

Being able to work and learn from the people who are actively engaged with the people at the state level, and being able to learn from the people who are doing the work in the community I am already in has been great.