Christal Villemaire: Outstanding Achievement in Instructional Technology

Christal Villemaire of Wells, Maine is the recipient of the 2024 Outstanding Achievement in Instructional Technology Award from the collaborative program in Instructional Technology and the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. Read a Q&A with Villemaire below.

What difference has UMaine made in your life and in helping you reach your goals?

A photo of Christal Villemaire.
Photo courtesy Christal Villemaire.

The Instructional Technology community has been amazing. My teachers and peers have lifted me up on more than one occasion. I would have never made it through my master’s without all their support.

Have you had an experience at UMaine that has changed or shaped how you see the world? If so, tell us about it.

Yes. I go back to my relationship with my peers in the master’s program. I have learned so much from each and every one of them. I love that we all come from different walks of life but share a love of learning and teaching.

Have you worked closely with a professor or mentor who improved your UMaine experience? If so, tell us about them.

Mia Morrison has been an incredible advisor. She has always been there for me, both professionally and personally. She takes the time to listen to her students and is a cheerleader when you need someone to believe in you.

What advice do you have for incoming graduate students to help them get off to the best academic start?

Make friends with your peers. They are a great professional resource and source of inspiration.