Madalene Herbert: Outstanding Student in Early Childhood Education

Madalene Herbert headshotMadalene (Maddie) Herbert is the 2023 Outstanding Student in Child Development and Family Relations, Early Childhood Education concentration in the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. Maddie came to UMaine as a transfer student from Southern Maine Community College and has thrived in the early childhood program.

Hometown: Westbrook, ME

High School: Westbrook High School

Parents: Christine and Jeffrey Herbert

Special thanks: I would like to thank everyone in the early childhood education program at Southern Maine Community College for preparing me so well to continue my bachelor’s education here at UMaine. I would also like to thank my fifth-grade science teacher and mentor, Ms. Hebert, for giving me hands-on experience and learning opportunities during some of my most challenging times. I finally would like to thank the peers I have met through my coursework at UMaine, as well as professors, Julie DellaMattera, Doreen Page, Connie Ronco, Diane Jackson, and everyone else who has made my education and passion for teaching so fulfilling here. Lastly, I would like to thank my student-teaching mentor, Mrs. Chandler, for her support and inspiration, making my last semester of school here the most gratifying one yet.

Favorite UMaine memory: My first day of classes as a transfer student in EHD 202 with professor Rebecca Buchanan. I sat next to a stranger, who because of that course, became one of my best friends. And of course, professor Buchanan is amazing!