Alexandria Fountain: Outstanding Student in Secondary Education

Alexandria Fountain portraitAlexandria (Alex) Fountain is the 2023 recipient of the Outstanding Student in Secondary Education Award from the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. Alex is from Liberty, Maine and double majored in Secondary Education and English during her time at UMaine. She will graduate with a concentrations in English and Creative Writing and a minor in Peace and Reconciliation Studies. Alex has been a member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honor society in education, and Sigma Tau Delta, the international honor society for English. She was also a Stephen E. King Fellowship recipient.

Hometown: Liberty, ME

High School: Mount View High School

Parents: Sheila and Steve Fountain

Special thanks: I would like to thank my parents for their continuous support, my professors for all the inspiring lessons, my mentor teacher for nurturing my growth as both a student and teacher, and to my two wonderful cats who couldn’t eat without me.

Favorite UMaine memory: Getting the (unexpected) opportunity to learn from, and work with, my mentor teacher, who has supported my love for English (and now my love for teaching) since I was a freshman in high school. Also, getting to spend my upperclassmen years back on campus and getting to be a part of the campus community!