The DeMeritt University Forest was named for Dwight B. Demeritt in 1971 in recognition of his work to procure the land for the University of Maine. Four tracts of government land near UMaine (ca. 2,000 acres) when it was acquired by lease in 1939 and then by deed in 1955. So take some time to enjoy a leisure stroll or hike down the trails. Click on the header above for more details!