Student Account Information

Away/Multi-Campus Students

For questions pertaining to multi-campus and away students, please call 207.581.1526.

Prior to any financial aid funds being made available, Away and Multi Campus students will need to:

  • Complete a domestic away form with their department.
  • Have verification of enrollment provided to the Financial Aid Office by the institution the student is attending.

Billing Information for Financial Aid Recipients

As it becomes available each semester, financial aid is disbursed (applied) to your student account. At the time of disbursement, you must meet all eligibility requirements for each type of aid or the aid will be delayed and/or canceled. Due to federal financial aid regulations, some types of aid take longer to process than others. Any credit balance created by the disbursement of financial aid is normally direct deposited to your bank account or mailed to you by the start of each semester, unless you have requested that funds be held on your account. Refund checks are not available for pick-up in the Bursar’s Office.

Disbursed and Anticipated aid is listed on your University of Maine bill. If you have aid that is not listed on your bill, use the Anticipated Resources area of Student Self-Service on MaineStreet (Path: Student Self-Service > Student Center > Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Finances > Anticipated Resources) to let the Bursar’s Office know the amount and type of assistance you still expect to receive. Charges covered by “anticipated resources” will be deferred, but you are expected to pay any remainder by the due date. If your anticipated resources includes a Federal Direct Stafford Loan, reduce the amount by 1.073% for the origination fee. List this amount on your anticipated resources screen.

Failure to notify the Bursar’s Office of any anticipated resources – and to provide the payment of any amount due after accounting for anticipated aid – by the due date will result in assessment of a late fee and could eventually result in a registration hold being placed on your account for the upcoming semester.

Reporting Outside Scholarships: Students are legally obligated to report any and all additional resources to the Office of Student Financial Aid. Scholarships and assistance of any kind from a Federal or State agency, private organization or scholarship foundation must be reported. Visit Student Financial Aid for additional information on reporting outside aid. Outside aid reported to Student Financial Aid does not need to be reported to the Bursar’s Office as Anticipated Resources.

Federal Perkins Loan Borrowers: A Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note must be completed every year in order to receive this loan. The Master Promissory Note can be completed on MaineStreet when you accept your loan and must be completed every year.

Federal Stafford Loan Borrowers: In order to receive your Federal Direct Stafford Loan funds you must accept them on MaineStreet. All first-time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers must complete Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling and a Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note in order for these funds to disburse. Both of these requirements can be completed at Single semester loans must be accepted and certified by the Office of Student Financial Aid by the last date of the specified semester in order to receive the funds. If you have a question regarding disbursement contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 207.581.1324.

Federal Work-Study Recipients: Your award represents potential earnings that you receive in a bi-weekly paycheck for hours worked under the Work-Study program. This award is not reflected on your bill and the Bursar’s Office cannot extend any credit against Work-Study. Do not count Work-Study as an anticipated resource.

University Scholarships, Assistantships & Other 3rd-Party Assistance Recipients: Please indicate in the Anticipated Resources area of Student Self-Service on MaineStreet (Path: Student Self-Service > Student Center > Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Finances > Anticipated Resources) the amount and nature of the assistance you anticipate. Any remaining amount due must be paid by the due date on the bill to avoid being assessed a late fee. Please refer to any instructions provided by the awarding organization or agency in order to facilitate the receipt of your outside assistance.

Changes to Your Financial Aid Award: Your award can be revised at any time during the year and may result in changes to the amount due on your student account. Adjustments to your financial aid award can result from changes to your full-time/part-time status, receipt of additional assistance not already included in your financial aid award; or changes in your/your parents’ financial situation, your residency status (tuition rate), enrollment status, and/or housing plans. To discuss the impact of such changes, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 207.581.1324.

General Student Account Billing Information

The University expects the student to be financially responsible. All accounts are carried in the name of the student, regardless of the source of payment. Invoices are mailed to the student, not the parent. All charges are payable in full by the due date on the Invoice. After that, a $100.00 late payment fee may be assessed. Financially delinquent students will be subject to the following administrative sanctions:

  • They are prevented from receiving an official certified copy of their transcript and diploma.
  • They are prevented from registration or pre-registration at any campus in the University of Maine System.
  • The University of Maine System or its campuses may disclose (directly or through its collection agencies) to a credit bureau organization that the student has failed to pay an assessed charge.
  • The University of Maine System or its campuses may use in-house collection efforts, commercial firms, legal services, and the State of Maine Bureau of Taxation for collection on the accounts.

The financial requirements of the University, changing costs, state and legislative action and other matters may require an adjustment of these charges and expenses. The University reserves the right to make such adjustments to the estimated charges and expenses as may from time to time be necessary in the opinion of the Board of Trustees up to the date of final registration for a given academic term. The applicant acknowledges this reservation and agrees to the financial terms and conditions of the University by the submission of an application or by registration.

Lifetime Learning and American Opportunity Tax Credit Information

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (“Act”) provides taxpayers with higher education tax incentives, including two tax credits for payments made for qualified tuition and related expenses (not including room and board) for post-secondary education. For the “Lifetime Learning Credit,” a taxpayer may claim up to $2,000 per return. For the “American Opportunity Credit,” a taxpayer may claim up to a $2,500 credit per student claimed as a taxpayer’s dependent. A full explanation of the these tax benefits can be found in the IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education.

The act imposes a reporting obligation on all eligible educational institutions that charge qualified tuition and related expenses. The University of Maine System will provide the IRS Form 1098-T by February 1st of the next calendar year, reflecting the following information:

  • Name, address, and Social Security Number of the student
  • Name, address, contact name and telephone number, and employer ID of the College
  • Indication whether the student attended more or less than half time during the year
  • Indication whether the student was enrolled in graduate level courses at any time during the year
  • The same information will also be provided to the IRS.

Additional information about your tuition and fee payments may be obtained by calling the Bursar’s Office at 207.581.1521.

Whether a taxpayer may take advantage of these benefits depends on the taxpayer’s individual facts and circumstances.

The preceding summary is for informational use only and should not be relied upon for tax planning purposes. Neither ECSI nor the University of Maine System can provide legal or tax advice on this matter. Please refer to IRS Publication 970 or consult with your own personal tax advisor.

Invoices and Due Dates

One paper bill is mailed to the student’s home or billing address each semester. Charges are calculated using pre-registrations, room sign-up information, and data supplied by the Admissions Office. Email notifications concerning student accounts will be sent periodically until the bill is paid in full. Students may view their accounts on Student Self-Service on MaineStreet.

The student receives a billing statement and packet of information from the University. With the first bill for the fall, spring and summer semesters, the student will use the Anticipated Resources area of Student Self-Service on MaineStreet (Path: Student Self-Service > Student Center > Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Finances > Anticipated Resources) to notify the University of any credits from other sources that are not shown on the billing statement (i.e. payment plans, alternative loans, Perkins/Stafford Loans). Outside scholarships should be reported to the Office of Student Financial Aid on MaineStreet (Path: Student Self-Service > Student Center > Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Finances > Accept/Decline Awards > Report Outside Aid).

Native American Student Information

For questions pertaining to Native American Student Charges and account status, please call 207.581.1526.

For questions pertaining to Native American Student Waiver status, please call the Wabanaki Center at 207.581.1417.

 Drop/Withdrawal Refund Policy

University of Maine Drop/Withdrawal Refund Policy

Student Financial Appeal Process

The following is an appeal process for students who dispute financial claims by the University of Maine System or one of its campuses; i.e., tuition, fees, room and board, and amounts due on outstanding student loans.

  1. Students should submit a written statement to the Assistant Bursar or other designated campus official stating the amount and nature of the disagreement and why they feel the charge is incorrect.
  2. Students should submit their written appeal within thirty days of the initial billing of a disputed charge. The Assistant Bursar or other designated official should respond in writing to the student’s complaint within thirty days of the receipt of the appeal.
  3. If the Assistant Bursar or other designated official’s decision is considered incorrect by the student, the student may appeal that decision (within thirty days) in the following order:

a. To the Chief Business Officer or equivalent official as designated by the campus.
b. To the President of the campus, whose decision shall be final.