Residency Guidelines

Maine Residency Classification *

There are many factors that will be considered in determining residency for in-state tuition purposes. No one factor can be used to establish domicile, rather all factors and circumstances must be considered on a case-by-case basis. A domicile or residency classification assigned by a public or private authority neither qualifies nor disqualifies a student for UMS in-state status. A student applying for admission to a degree program is classified as eligible, or not eligible, for in-state tuition at the time of acceptance to the University. A non-matriculated (non-degree) student is classified as eligible, or not eligible, for in-state tuition at the time of registration. The decision, made by the Chief Financial Officer, or other officials designated by the campus, shall be made based on information and documentation furnished by the student and other information available to the University. No student is eligible for in-state tuition classification until they have become domiciled in Maine, in accordance with University guidelines, before such registration. If the student is enrolled full-time in an academic program, as defined by the University, it will be presumed that the student is in Maine for educational purposes, and that the student is not in Maine to establish a domicile. A residence established for the purpose of attending a UMS campus shall not by itself constitute domicile. The burden will be on the student to prove that they have established a Maine domicile for other than educational purposes. An individual who has lived in the State of Maine, for other than educational purposes, one year prior to registration or application to a campus is considered an in-state student.

In general, the dependents of  a member of the Armed Forces will be granted in-state tuition during such periods of time as the member is on active duty within the State of Maine or if their Military State of residency is Maine as evidenced by appropriate official documentation. A Maine resident who is absent from the State for military or full-time educational purposes will normally remain eligible for in-state tuition.

A student, spouse, or domestic partner of a student, who currently has continuous, permanent full-time employment in Maine before the student decides to apply for degree status at the University will be considered in-state for tuition purposes. A student who is dependent on their parent(s) and/or legally appointed guardian (or to whom custody has been granted by court order) is considered to have a domicile with the parent(s) for tuition purposes.

In-state tuition is not available to anyone who holds a non-immigrant U.S. visa. If an individual is not a domiciliary of the United States, they cannot be a domiciliary of the State of Maine.

A student who attended an out-of-state educational institution at in-state tuition rates in the immediately preceding semester shall be presumed to be in Maine for educational purposes and not to establish a domicile. Again, the burden will be on the individual to prove that they have established a Maine domicile for other than educational purposes.

* Please note that initial residency is determined by the Admissions Office for matriculated undergraduate students, the Continuing & Distance Education Office for non-matriculated undergraduate students, and the Graduate School for graduate students based on application information.

Change of Residency Classification Procedure

To change tuition status, the following procedures are followed:

I. A “Request for Change in Tuition Status” cover sheet and application must be filed with Student Financial Services at the University of Maine, Student Financial Services Office, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, Maine 04469-5703 before the first day of classes for the summer session, fall, or spring semester for which residency is requested. All applications are prospective.

II. The Residency Appeal Committee will issue a written decision within 30 days.  The student will be emailed the Committee’s decision, along with appeal instructions, in the event the appeal is not approved.

In the event that a designated University official possesses facts or information indicating a student’s change of status from in-state to out-of-state, the student shall be informed in writing of the change in status and will be given an opportunity to present facts in opposition to the change.


Members or Veterans of the US Armed Forces

A current member of the United States Armed Forces or a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces who has been honorably discharged will be billed at the instate tuition rate.

Veterans must supply a DD214, Certificate of eligibility for GI bill™, or Military ID card. Active duty members must supply a copy of their Military ID card.

All dependents using a GI Bill™ are billed at the in-state tuition rate.

For more information, please visit Veterans Education and Transition Services.