Forms - Retroactive Appeal Process and Instructions
Retroactive Appeal Process and Instructions
The student retroactive refund appeal form is used when the student feels that an exception should be made to the established refund policies on tuition and fees for add/drop and withdrawal. Examples of student refund appeals can be, but are not limited to, the following:
- Student feels that specific circumstances warrant an exception to the refund policy.
- Student failed to comply with established refund policy deadlines due to specific circumstances (i.e. family situation prevented student from dropping courses or withdrawing within deadline to receive 100% refund).
The Bursar is available at (207) 581-1521 to discuss specific circumstances that may warrant a refund appeal.
Prior to step 1, the student is strongly encouraged to meet with the appropriate University administrator as defined in step 1. Endorsement by the University administrator is a required first step in the process, prior to review by the Bursar.
- Student completes part A of the refund appeal form, attaches a written statement detailing the basis of the appeal, and submits both documents to the appropriate University Administrator (University Administrator is defined as starting at the Assistant/Associate Dean and Director level of administration). A University Administrator may appoint a designee via memorandum to the Bursar.
- Administrator will determine if the student is a financial aid recipient. If the student is a financial aid recipient, the Administrator will contact the Financial Aid Office by telephone and discuss the appeal:
- If the Financial Aid Office staff member can complete the review by telephone contact, the Administrator will complete parts B and C of the form and proceed with step 3 of the process.
- If the Financial Aid Office staff member cannot complete the review by telephone contact, the Administrator will complete part B of the form and forward the form to the Financial Aid Office staff member. The Financial Aid Office will perform the financial aid review; complete part C of the form; and return the form to the Administrator. The Administrator will determine if the appeal and recommendation will be forwarded to the Bursar based on the financial aid review.
- The Administrator forwards the original refund appeal form/student’s written statement to the Bursar and retains an originating office file copy. Any related academic forms (i.e. add/drop form) will be separately forwarded to the appropriate department (i.e. Registrar). Please note that approved appeals on academic matters do not automatically qualify for a tuition refund.
- The Bursar approves/disapproves the refund appeal recommendation from the university administrator. Disposition copies of the form are sent to the student and originating office.