Facilities Available for Use - Papermaking
The PDC’s pilot paper machine is available for raw material and process operation studies as well as to evaluate equipment components. Steady state is reached in less than 30 minutes allowing multiple trials in a single day.
A size press is an option in the operation of the pilot paper machine. This piece of equipment allows for the addition of surface sizing as well as light coating on the basesheet.
Calendering improves printing properties, particularly roughness and gloss. The values attained depend on the speed, pressure, and temperature of calendering, the base sheet, the average moisture content, and the composition of the coating. An on-line calender stack is available at the end of the paper machine.
- Fourdrinier paper machine (Complete list of paper machine equipment)
- Flexible metering system for wet-end additives for multiple additive strategies.
- Two felted press nips with a separate embossing nip for specialty applications.
- Inclined flooded nip size press
- Quick change-over size press coating supply system
- In-line steel nip calendar stack
- High precision drive system
- Honeywell Experion MX scanner with on-line monitoring of basis weight, moisture, caliper and ash, in both the machine and cross-machine direction
- Flexible metering system for wet-end additives
- Off-line calender – conventional or hot soft nip configuration
- Off-line rewinding
To begin working with us, please visit our Planning Your Project page.
To find out more about our organization and how to work with us, please refer back to our Home page. To learn more about coating and finishing at the PDC, please continue on to the Next Page.
Back to Facilities Available for Use