Policies & Regulations - Confidentiality (FERPA)
Student and Parent Rights Relating to Educational Records including Directory Information and Prior Consent
Release of Directory Information
The University of Maine has designated certain information contained in the education records of its students as directory information for purposes of FERPA. Such directory information may be publicly shared by the University unless the student has taken formal action to restrict its release. Directory information includes:
- Date of Birth
- Program of Study
- Dates of Attendance
- Degrees and Awards received (including dates)
- Most recent previous educational institution attended
- Participation in sports and activities
- Class Level
- Enrollment status (full/part-time)
- Email Address
- Appropriate personal athletic statistical data
Students have three choices pertaining to the release of directory information:
- Do not release any directory information
- Release all directory information
- Release all directory information except address
The default setting is set to “Release all directory information,” if you wish to change the setting you may do so in your MaineStreet Student Center. A quick guide is available which describes this process.
Considerations to be made when selecting “Do not release any directory information:”
- No employee at the institution can acknowledge a student’s existence at the university without written permission for each request stating the exact circumstance and person(s) with whom to share the directory information.
- Directory information requested by insurance and loan companies will not be provided without written permission.
- A student’s existence will not be acknowledged for verification of degree or degree earned which may be requested for employment.
- Students will have their names withheld for distribution to any publication or newspaper which may affect announcements of recognition to local community news outlets.
Student Information Release
The Student Consent To Release Information Form (PDF) form allows students to give access to their educational records to specified individuals. This access remains in effect until the student revokes permission in writing. Once the Office of Student Records receives the completed form, the information will be documented in MaineStreet.If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact The Office of Student Records at 581-1290.
Back to Policies & Regulations