Living Well - Spirit
Andrew Cole, M.S.
Have you ever wondered about your life’s purpose? Are you searching for something that will make you feel more connected or fulfilled?
Well, you’re not alone. We all strive to understand ourselves and to connect to the world around us. We look for meaning in our experiences and hope to live purposeful lives. Spirit involves needs for awareness, meaning, emotion, growth, values, or faith. How do you feed these needs within yourself?
Some people deepen their awareness through exploration of their own feelings and personalities. Some find purpose by contributing to their families, communities, or to society. Many find meaning by immersing hemselves in science, nature, or art. And some follow a religious or spiritual belief system to guide them toward greater fulfillment.
There are so many possibilities and so many paths to finding what will make you feel more complete. Some hints to take with you on your journey:
- Stay Open. If you are still searching for activities, people, or ideas to help fill your life, don’t be a closed parachute. If you want to be filled-up, you have to be open. Opportunities surface in all different forms and sometimes truth comes from the darkest of corners, where we least expect.
- Do what you love! Of course, you can’t watch reality TV all day and Saturday night only happens once a week for a reason. Consider sampling the myriad activities and discussion groups on campus. See what suits your inspirations. When choosing your course of study, balance practical concerns about jobs and money with what really interests you. You’ll be more effective and successful at what you do if you feel good while you do it.
- Be Patient. College-age adults have a ton of pressure on them to make major decisions about the direction of their lives. It’s a time to explore belief systems, relationships, career goals, and talents. The fact that there are so many options can feel daunting. But take comfort, finding fulfillment in Spirit is a lifelong pursuit. It is similar to taking care of your body or to developing your mind. We continue to grow in Spirit all through life and have endless opportunities to discover ourselves.
- B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation
- Campus Crusade for Christ International
- The Catholic Community: Newman Center Our Lady of Wisdom Parish
- Hindu Prayers
- Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship
- The Navigators
- Pagan Campus Organization
- UMaine Muslim Student Group
- UMaine Pentecostal Student Fellowship
- Wilson Center- A Protestant Campus Ministry