Social Media Statistics Details
Social Media Statistics
From https://backlinko.com/social-media-users September 2, 2021
- 4.48 billion people currently use social media worldwide, up more than double from 2.07 billion in 2015
- The average social media user engages with an average of 6.6 various social media platforms.
- The social media growth rate since 2015 is an average of 12.5% year-over-year. However, growth is on the decline with 2019-2020 data revealing a 9.2% growth rate
- By region, social media growth in 2019-2020 is led by Asia: +16.98%, Africa +13.92%, South America +8.00%, North America +6.96%, Europe +4.32%, and Australasia +4.9%
- 60.99% of the 7.87 billion people in the world use social media, of eligible audiences aged 13+, there is 63% are active users
- 93.33% of internet users are on social media; however, a titanic 85% of mobile internet users are active on networks
- Out of 4.48 billion social media users, 99% access websites or apps through a mobile device, with only 1.32% accessing platforms exclusively via desktop
- Globally, the average time a person spends on social media a day is 2 hours 24 minutes; if someone signed up at 16 and lived to 70, they would spend 5.7 years of their life on it
- Facebook is the leading social network at 2.9 billion monthly active users, followed by YouTube (2.3 billion), WhatsApp (2 billion), FB Messenger (1.3 billion), and WeChat (1.2 billion)
- 72.3% of the total US population actively use social media, totalling a number of 240 million people
- In the US, 54% of social media users are female, while the remaining 46% are male, compared with a global average of 45.6% for female, and 54.4% for male.
- 40% of all internet users worldwide utilize social media for work purposes. In the U.S., only 27% of people actively use social media in their jobs, compared with the highest by country in Indonesia at 65%, or the lowest at 13% in Israel.
|Network||Active users (MM)|