Welcome to Allagash!
First established in 1886 by a family who canoed up from Western Maine and incorporated as a town in 1966, Allagash is a frontier town surrounded by the North Maine Woods. Although small in terms of population, Allagash, also known as “Moosetown,” is actually the largest town in Maine by land area.
Notable residents include the successful author Cathie Pelletier (also known as K. C. McKinnon), a small herd of bison fenced in alongside Route 161, and a number of legendary Master Maine Guides operating local sporting camps.
- Louie’s Antique Chain Saws 62 Allagash Rd, Allagash, ME 04774 | (207) 398-4115
- Museum curated by a local woodsman with a large collection of chainsaws from the past century. “The museum doesn’t have set hours, but Pelletier is almost always around to greet visitors during the day.” DownEast magazine also wrote an interesting article about this museum.
- Allagash Wilderness Waterway: According to e-travel Maine, “Established in 1966, the waterway protects 92 miles of lakes, streams, rivers, and ponds. Unlike most rivers, the Allagash runs from south to north, leading you farther into the northern Maine woods. If this is your first long canoe adventure, it is a good idea to hire a Registered Maine Guide or local outfitter to provide a guided trip. The entire trip from Chamberlain Lake to Allagash Village takes 7 to 10 days. Most paddlers average 8 to 14 miles per day, depending on their skill level and number of daily paddling hours.”
- Guide services: look in lodging section for more information:
- Two Rivers Lunch 75 Dickey Rd, Allagash, ME 04774 | (207) 398-3393
- A local institution serving classic American fare!
- Other restaurants are located in Fort Kent.
- Allagash Guide Service 928 Allagash Rd, Allagash, ME 04774 | (207) 398-3418
- Locally owned & operated outfitter offering cabin & lodge accommodations as well as guided canoe and hunting trips.
- Black River Guide Service 750 Allagash Rd, Allagash, ME 04774 | (207) 398-4103
- Local guide service offering guided hunts, fishing trips, canoe trips, snowmobiling trips, and a cozy year-round camp. NOTE; website not in service; call to see if they are still operating.
- Great Northern Outfitters 310 Dickey Rd, Allagash, ME 04774 | (207) 398-3330
- Outfitter of hunting and canoe trips with accommodation options.
- AirBnB rentals in Allagash
- Motel and B&B lodging options in nearby Fort Kent
Shops & Services
- Allagash Wood Products 133 Allagash Rd, Allagash, ME 04774 | (207) 398-4115
- Producers of locally-made cedar picnic tables and other outdoor furniture.