Your Rights as a Student

If you feel that you have been impacted by gender discrimination which includes sexual assault, sexual harassment, relationship abuse or stalking, you have a right to:

  • Receive support services such as counseling, etc.
  • Have your report handled as confidentially as possible – Be informed of the relevant University policy(ies)
  • File a complaint with the University, and have assistance doing so, through the Student Code of Conduct, if the complaint is against a student, or through the Equal Opportunity Complaint Procedure, if the complaint is against an employee or visitor
  • Have your complaint investigated
  • Receive assistance in writing a statement of the incident(s)
  • Request measures to improve your safety and reduce your contact with the accused student
  • Request accommodations, such as extensions for assignments in classes, housing reassignment, etc.
  • File a police report
  • Be free from retaliation

For any of the services listed, please contact:

Heather Hogan
Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Title IX Student Services 
Memorial Union, Room 235
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469