Reactivating a Closed IRB Study
Re-opening a closed study is handled on a case by case basis by the IRB. You can request reactivating a closed study up to 12 months after the study was closed. After this time, a new application submission will be required.
To re-open the study the PI must submit the following:
- The reason why the study was closed and the reason why it needs to be re-opened.
- Confirmation that no participants were enrolled and no data collection occurred while the study was closed and that this is the continuation of the same study.
- If applicable, a modification with any requested changed to the application, personnel, etc. since the application was last approved.
- An updated continuing review (if applicable) will need to be submitted.
- If participants need to be notified of the re-opening, the PI must explain how this will be accomplished.