The final quality of a paper product is heavily influenced by the properties of raw materials, fibers and process conditions. In today’s market, with fiber resources continually changing and new fiber types and combinations constantly being developed, it can be challenging to maintain product quality and performance. The PDC can support your efforts to keep standards high by evaluating and testing the raw materials that make up the essential building blocks of your product.
Our high-tech wet labs and controlled environmental testing room provide our staff with the resources to perform many different tests to characterize the properties of pulp and fibrous raw materials for papermaking. Our staff is available to serve our clients’ needs, with tests ranging from the standard to the customized.
Pulp & Fiber Analytical Equipment
- Standard pulp evaluation apparatus
- Gas chromatograph/Mass spectrometer
- Liquid chromatograph/Mass spectrometer
- UV spectrometer
The Process Development Center has a broad range of equipment for evaluation of different kinds of raw material for pulp and paper production. We can analyze wood chips for important properties such as:
- Size and thickness distribution
- Bark content
- Basic density
- Bulk density
- Chemical composition
A pulp yield measurement method has been developed at the PDC: samples are collected at the mill, then analyzed for cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin content and cellulose degree of polymerization. Our researchers then calculate the total yield for the mill operation. A validated data bank for estimating pulp yield using this technique can be used to estimate the yield of a variety of wood species and various pulps, provided we know the wood furnish composition.
- Evaluation of the effects of kraft pulping on pulp yield
- Optimization of fiber strength
- Evaluation of the effects of additives during pulping
- Analysis of:
- Klason and soluble lignin
- Kappa and permanganate number
- Physical and optical property measurement
- Fiber quality monitoring
- Chemical analysis of wood and pulp
- Lab refiner curve evaluation
- Fiber identification (wood or non-wood)
To find out more about the PDC’s analytical capabilities, contact Pros Bennett, our Interim Director. After scheduling your work, visit our Shipping Information and Sample Submission pages and fill out our Sample Submission Form.