Accessible (ADA) Parking

ADA parking sign
Example of ADA Accessible parking permit & UM permit combind

The University of Maine complies with the federal standards for the number of accessible-designated parking spaces in relation to the number of parking spaces on the campus. These spaces are allocated in specific parking lots by the anticipated need in that area.

ADA vehicles have access to any accessible-signed spaces including those within barricaded lots.

Contact us at 207.581.4047 for any parking assistance.

  • To park in an Accessible Space at UMaine, an individual must have a state-issued accessible permit/placard or plate AND a valid University of Maine Parking Permit.
    • Those 2 permits together, allow parking in any valid University of Maine student, faculty/staff, commuter, or visitor-accessible parking space.
    • The State-issued accessible permit/placard should be displayed facing the window from the mirror and the University of Maine permit should be displayed facing the driver so that the numbers can be read by a Parking Enforcement Officer.
    • Failure to have both permits displayed are subject to enforcement procedures.
  • Vehicles with accessible permits parked in areas designated for other permit categories are subject to enforcement procedures. Examples include parking in Service Vehicle Spaces, Carpool and Loading Zones.
  • A temporary 7-day Accessible parking pass can be obtained at the Parking Office. These permits cannot be extended or renewed. The permit gives the individual time to go through the State of Maine if a permit is required past 7 days. Limited on one 7 day pass per calendar year.
    • Once signed the paperwork can be brought to the Bangor BMV and a placard can be issued that same day, mailing or faxing the paperwork could create a week long or more lead time for receiving the placard by mail.
  • The Bangor BMV is located at 396 Griffin Road, Suite 202 Bangor, ME 04401, Tel: (207) 942-1319 Fax: (207) 945-0175.

Accessibility Parking FAQs

Yes. We are a “parking-by-permit” campus. Faculty, staff, and students purchase a yearly permit. Visitors to the campus may obtain a one-day permit free of charge or purchase a yearly permit. For more information on Visitor Permits, please visit the Visitor Permits page.

Temporary Day passes are also available at:

  • The Parking and Transportation Services Office is located at – 5702 DTAV Community Building (138 Rangeley Road), across from the UCU on Rangeley Road (Year-long permits are also available to purchase at this location – Open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
  • The University Police Department – 81 Rangeley Road. There is a parking pass kiosk in the main lobby available after hours only (Between 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m., Monday-Friday and on weekends and holidays)
  • The Buchanan Alumni House – 160 College Ave. (Open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Example of ADA Accessible parking permit & UM permit combind

Yes. As long as both permits are displayed: A state accessible placard or temporary UMaine Accessible pass and a University permit/pass. With these you can park in any accessible-designated space on campus.

The egress area is next to the accessible space reserved to allow a disabled person to get out of their vehicle. If your vehicle is parked there, it limits accessibility. If you find all of the handicap spaces full, try an adjacent lot. A parking lot on the other side of the building may have an open space. If you continue having difficulties, contact Student Accessibility Services at 207.581.2319 for more information or call Parking Services for alternate parking options at 207-581-4047.

Parking and Transportation Services will issue you a temporary accessible permit for up to seven days. This permit is valid for accessible spaces on the campus only. You will be provided with a state accessible permit request form (PDF) requiring your doctor’s signature. Take the completed form to the Bureau of Motor Vehicle Registry to obtain a temporary or longer-term placard.

Yes! The enforcement officer wasn’t present when you got out of your vehicle and will not know the difference. You are going to be responsible for a $200 citation and the charge of having your vehicle towed and stored unnecessarily. Avoid this by stopping at the Parking and Transportation Services for a temporary permit.

No, the State of Maine has strict regulations for the issuing of temporary Accessible Parking Passes. As instructed the original 7 day pass is issued in order to give time for the customer to go though the State of Maine and obtain a placard.

Our accessible parking pass can not be renewed or extended. Please make sure you start the State of Maine paperwork process promptly. Once signed the paperwork can be brought to the Bangor BMV and a placard can be issued that same day, mailing or faxing the paperwork could create a week-long or more lead time for receiving the placard by mail.