Amrit Shankar Verma, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
Ferland Engineering Education and Design Center, Room 254
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-2126; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D. in Marine Technology from Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway, 2020
Google Scholar link: Check
- Cooperating Faculty, Advanced Structures and Composites Center (ASCC), UMaine (2021- Current)
- Research Scientist, SINTEF Ocean, 2021
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, TU Delft, The Netherlands 2019-2020
- Researcher, Centre for Marine Operations in Virtual Environments (SFI MOVE), Norway, 2016-2019
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
MEE270: Applied Mechanics: Dynamics
MEE251: Strength of Materials
MEE491: Offshore Wind Farm Engineering
Research Areas: (Wind Energy and Marine Operations (WEMO) Lab)
- Offshore Wind Turbine Technology: Installation, Operation and Maintenance
- Structural Testing and Finite Element Analysis of Composite and Sandwich Structures
- Leading Edge Erosion of Wind Turbine Blades
- Probabilistic Methods and Analysis
- Structural Response to Impact Loads
- Doctoral Thesis: RCN (Research Council of Norway)
- Postdoc: RVO (Netherlands Enterprise Agency)
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Efficient lumping method for fatigue analysis of monopile and gravity based offshore wind turbine substructures, EmpireFeed Project (SINTEF Ocean/Equinor)
- Review of Digital Twin Technology projects (SINTEF Ocean)
- Tutorial: How to model an offshore wind turbine using SIMA (Joint work) (SINTEF Ocean)
Select Publications / Conference Presentations:
- Zhang, Y., Shi, W., Li, D., Li, X., Duan, Y. and Verma, A.S., 2022. A novel framework for modeling floating offshore wind turbines based on the vector form intrinsic finite element (VFIFE) method. Ocean Engineering, 262, p.112221.
- Verma, A.S., Jiang, Z, Vedvik, N.P, Gao, Z., Ren Z. (2019) “Impact assessment of a wind turbine blade root during an offshore mating process” Engineering Structures 180C (2019) pp. 205-222
- Verma, A.S., Castro, S. G., Jiang, Z., Teuwen, J. J. (2020). “Numerical investigation of rain droplet impact on offshore wind turbine blades under different rainfall conditions: A parametric study “. Composite Structures, 112096.
- Verma, A.S., Vedvik, N.P; Haselbach, P.U; Gao, Z., Jiang, Z (2019) “Comparison of numerical modelling techniques for impact investigation on a wind turbine blade” Composite Structures 209C (2019) pp. 856-878.
- Verma, A.S., Jiang, Z., Caboni, M., Verhoef, H., van der Mijle Meijer, H., Castro, S.G. and Teuwen, J.J., 2021. “A probabilistic rainfall model to estimate the leading-edge lifetime of wind turbine blade coating system”. Renewable Energy, 178, pp.1435-1455.
- Verma, A.S., Jiang, Z, Vedvik, N.P., Gao, Z (2020) “Effects of a passive tuned mass damper on blade root impacts during the offshore mating process” Marine Structures, 72, 102778
- Ren Z., Verma, A.S., Li Y., Jiang, Z., Julie J.E. Teuwen (2020) “Offshore wind turbine operations and maintenance: A state-of-the-art review” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 144 (2021): 110886.
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- Session Co Chair, Wind Energy: Structural design, O&M, 39th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore & Arctic Engineering (OMAE) conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Guest Editor, Energies (Special Issue), MDPI Journal
- Topic Board Editor, Marine Science and Engineering, Applied Sciences, MDPI Journal