Mohsen Shahinpoor, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty Adviser/Director: Robotics Minor
Faculty Adviser/Director: Biomedical Engineering Minor
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 314
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-2143; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D. in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering from University of Delaware, 1970
- Fellow: National Academy of Inventors, USA
- Fellow: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), USA
- Fellow: Royal Society Of Chemistry (RSC), UK
- Fellow: Institute of Physics, (IOP), UK
- Summer Faculty Fellowship, Sandia National Laboratories, 2001 and 2004
- Consultant, Sandia National Laboratories, 1994-2007, Los Alamos National laboratories, 1995-2007
- General Chair: Biomimetics, Artificial Muscles and Nanobio International Congress (9th. BAMN 2017, Australia)
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Intro to Biomedical Engineering; Strength of Materials; Modeling, Analysis and Control of Mechanical Systems; Kinematic Design of Mechanisms and Machines; Robot Dynamics and Control; Mechanics of Composite Materials; Mechanical Vibrations; Advanced Vibrations I; Smart Materials
Research Areas: (Expanded View)
- Smart/Intelligent Materials, Structures and Systems
- Biomimetics, Nano-Bio Engineering and Artificial Muscles
- Biologically-Inspired Engineering Systems (BIES), and Robotic Devices and Systems (BIRDS)
- Intelligent Robotic Systems, Robotic Surgery and Microsurgery
- Health Engineering, Biomedical Engineering
- Advanced Nanocomposites and Electroactive Polymers
- Heart Assist Systems, Left Ventricular Assist Systems (LVAS), Heart Failure Prevention
- Bionic Vision and Ophthalmological Engineering
- Neuro and Endovascular Surgical Tools and Medical Implants.
- DOE, NSF, NASA, US Air Force, DoD, NRL, ARO, DARPA
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Dynamic Monitoring of the Geometry of Inflated Space Structures by Smart Flexible Sensors, NASA
- Dynamic Analysis of Elastically Deformable Robotic Manipulators, DoD-ARO
- Dynamics of Ionic Polymer Metal Composites for Underwater Swimming and Data Collection, DoD-NRL
- Designing Surface Micromorphology to Reduce Turbulent Fluctuations and Eddies, DoD-AFOSR
Select Publications / Conference Presentations: (*Student, **Postdoc)
- M. Alahbakhshi*, A. Fallahi*, E. Mohajerani*, M. R. Fathollahi*, F. Afshar Taromi*, and M. Shahinpoor, “High-performance Bi-stage process in reduction of graphene oxide for transparent conductive electrodes”, Optical Materials, Vol. 64, pp: 366-375, 2017.
- D. Armstrong, B. Najafi, and M. Shahinpoor, “Potential Applications of Smart Multi-Functional Wearable Materials to Gerontology”, Gerontology Journal, accepted for publication, Manuscript No.: 201606007, Published online: January 12, 2017.
- A. Fallahi*, Y. Bahramzadeh*, E. Tabatabaie*, and M. Shahinpoor, “A Novel Multifunctional Soft Robotic Transducer Made with Poly (Ethylene-co-Methacrylic Acid) Ionomer Metal Nanocomposite”, accepted for publication, Int. Journal of Intelligent Robotics and Applications, Special Issue on Soft Robotics, to appear, 2017.
- M. Shahinpoor, “Ionic Polymer Metal Composites as Soft Biomimetic Robotic Artificial Muscles”, RSC Smart Materials Series, Number 18, Royal Society of Chemistry Publishers, pp. 341-363, Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF, UK, 2016.
- M. Shahinpoor, “Ionic Polymer Metal Composites as Dexterous Manipulators and Haptic Feedback/Tactile Sensors for Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery”, RSC Smart Materials Series, Number 18, Royal Society of Chemistry Publishers, pp. 311-340, Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF, UK, 2016.
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- Talent Judge: National Collegiate Inventors Competition (CIC) sponsored by National Inventors Hall of Fame and conducted by: National Academy of Inventors;
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers,
- Institute of Physics
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Sigma Xi, AAAS