Masoud Rais-Rohani, Ph.D., P.E.
Chair & Richard C. Hill Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 219
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-4120; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering from Virginia Tech, 1991
- Boeing Welliver Faculty Fellowship, The Boeing Company, 2008
- NASA-ASEE Summer Faculty Fellowship, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, 2004
- NASA-ASEE Summer Faculty Fellowship, NASA Langley Research Center, 1994
- NASA-ASEE Summer Faculty Fellowship, NASA Langley Research Center, 1993
- Graduate Internship, NASA Langley Research Center, 1990
Engineering Optimization; Aircraft Structures; Strength of Materials; Advanced Strength of Materials; Mechanics of Composite Materials
Research Areas: (Expanded View)
- Structural and Multidisciplinary Design Optimization
- Design Optimization of Multiscale Systems
- Mechanics of Thin-Walled (Aircraft, Automotive, and Composite) Structures
- Probabilistic and Non-Probabilistic Approaches for Uncertainty Quantification
- Reduced Order and Surrogate Modeling
- DOE, NSF, NASA, NSWCCD, ERDC
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Vehicle-dummy-restraint system simulation and optimization subject to multiple crash conditions, DOE
- Decomposed multilevel optimization framework for coupled product-material design under uncertainty, NSF
- Effects of cross-sectional geometry and material properties on crashworthiness of thin-walled structures, DOE
- Evidence-based uncertainty quantification of constitutive models for polycrystalline materials, DOE
- Big data analytics and trade space exploration through surrogate modeling, ERDC
Select Publications / Conference Presentations: (*Student)
- Gandikota*, I., Rais-Rohani, M., Kiani*, M., and DorMohammadi*, S., “Multilevel Design Optimization of a Vehicle-Dummy Model Under Crash, Vibration, and Injury Criteria,” International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 70, No. 1, pp. 45-68, 2016.
- Dettwiller*, I. and Rais-Rohani, M., “Decomposed Multilevel Optimization and Bayesian Uncertainty Quantification of Nano-Enhanced Composite Sandwich Plates,” AIAA SciTech 2017: 19th AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, Grapevine, TX, Jan 9-13, 2017.
- Najafi*, A. and Rais-Rohani, M., “Mechanics of Axial Collapse in Multi-Cell, Multi-Corner Crush Tubes,” Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 1-12, 2011.
- Salehghaffari*, S. and Rais-Rohani, M., “Material Model Uncertainty Quantification Using Evidence Theory,” Proceedings of the IMechE, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 227, No. 10, pp. 2163-2179, 2013.
- Parrish*, J., Rais-Rohani, M., and Janus, M., “Reduced Order Techniques for Sensitivity Analysis and Design Optimization of Aerospace Systems,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 53, No. 12, pp. 3567-3576, 2015.
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- AIAA (Associate Fellow; Deputy Director for Design, Aerospace Design and Structures Technical Group; Tech Chair: 18th AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, San Diego, CA, Jan 2016)
- ASEE (Board of Directors, Mechanics Division; Vice Chair, Aerospace Division)
- Sigma Xi, AAAS, SAE, ASME