Sharmila Mukhopadhyay, Ph.D.
Professor & FIRST Director
The University of Maine
Engineering Science Research Building, Room 265
Orono, ME 04469
(207) 581-2252; email@example.com
Ph.D. in Materials Science & Engineering, Cornell University, 1989
- Jefferson Science Fellow, National Academies and US Department of State (2016-17)
- Professor of Mechanical & Materials Engineering at Wright State University (1997-2019)
- Founding Director, Center for Nanoscale Multifunctional Materials at WSU
- Founding Director, National Academy of Engineering-Grand Challenges Scholars Program at WSU (2019)
Materials Science and Engineering
- Multifunctional nanomaterials: design, synthesis, characterization and testing
- Compact lightweight components for energy, environment, and biomedical applications
- Surface and interface phenomena
- NSF, DOE, AFOSR, AFRL, OBOR, EPA, and industry
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Novel Bio-inspired 3D Materials for catalysis, sensing and bio-scaffolding, NSF
- Plasma Modification of Uneven Porous Surfaces, Proctor & Gamble
- Wettability tailoring of aerospace structures, Air Force Research lab (AFRL)
- High Temperature Superconductors, DOE, AFRL, NSF
Select Publications / Conference Presentations: (*Student, **Postdoc)
- Soham D Parikh*, Luping Huang**, Wenhu Wang*, Sharmila M Mukhopadhyay, Debra A Mayes, “Multi-walled carbon nanotube carpets as scaffolds for u87Glioblastoma multiforma cell growth”, Materials Science & Engineering C, accepted, in print.
- Vijwani*, M.N. Nadagouda, S.M. Mukhopadhyay, “Robust nanocatalyst membranes for degradation of atrazine in water”, Journal of Water Process Engineering, Volume 25, October 2018, Pages 15-21
- Betty T. Quinton*, Levi Elston, James D. Scofield and Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, “Aligned Carbon Nanotube Arrays Bonded to Solid Graphite Substrates: Thermal Analysis for Future Device Cooling Applications”, Journal of Carbon Research, 2018, 4, 28; doi:10.3390/c4020028.
- LvMeng He*, Anil Karumuri* and Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, “Wettability Tailoring of Nanotube Carpets: Morphology-Chemistry Synergy for Hydrophobic-Hydrophilic Cycling”, RSC Advances 7(41):25267, 2017.
- Akhil Patel*, Shilpaa Mukundan, Wenhu Wang*, Anil Karumuri**, Vinayak Sant, Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, Shilpa Sant, Carbon-based hierarchical scaffolds for myoblast differentiation: Synergy between nano-functionalization and alignment, Acta Biomater. 2016, Mar 1.
- Rajaram Narayanan*, Hema Vijwani*, Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, Prabhakar R. Bandaru, “Electrochemical charge storage in hierarchical carbon manifolds”, Carbon, Volume 99, April 2016, Pages 267–271.
- Kshitij C. Jha**, Zhuonan Liu, Hema Vijwani*, Mallikarjuna Nadagouda, Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, and Mesfin Tsige, “Carbon nanotube based groundwater remediation: the case of Trichloroethylene”, Molecules 2016, 21, 953; doi:10.3390/molecules21070953
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, 2019
- Fellow, American Ceramic Society, 2007