Andrew J. Goupee, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 206
Orono, ME 04469-5711
(207) 581-3657; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Maine, 2010
- Visiting Professional, National Wind Technology Center
- Cooperating Faculty, Advanced Structures and Composites Center
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Strength of Materials; Dynamics; Mechanical Vibrations; Wind Energy Engineering; Capstone Design I & II
Research Areas: (More Information)
- Numerical methods in floating offshore structures
- Model testing of floating offshore structures
- Experimental techniques
- Structural optimization
- Aquaculture technology
- DOE, NSF, NASA, MTI
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Aqua Ventus I floating wind turbine demonstration project, DOE
- Proof of concept small scale wave energy converter testing (Wave Energy Prize), DOE
- Development of W2 – A unique offshore wind-wave generation system, NSF
- W2 moving floor and tow carriage development for testing of vessels and marine structures, MTI
- Behavior and optimization of hypersonic inflatable aerodynamic decelerators, NASA
- M.Hall and A.J. Goupee (2018). “Validation of a hybrid moeling approach to floating wind turbine basin testing,” Wind Energy 21(6):391-408.
- A.J. Goupee, R.W. Kimball and H.J. Dagher (2017). “Experimental observations of active blade pitch and generator control influence on floating wind turbine response,” Renewable Energy 104:9-19.
- K.A. Berube, A.J. Goupee and R.A. Lopez-Anido (2016). “Determining the flexural and shear moduli of fiber reinforced polymer composites using three-dimensional digital image correlation,” Experimental Techniques 40(4):1263-1273.
- J.D. Clapp, W.G. Davids, A.J. Goupee and A.C. Young (2016). “Experimental determination of inflatable, braided tube constitutive properties,” Strain 52:148-161.
- A.J. Coulling, A.J. Goupee, A.N. Robertson, J.M. Jonkman and H.J. Dagher (2013). “Validation of a FAST semi-submersible floating wind turbine model with DeepCwind test data,” Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 5:023116.
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- Member, ASME