Vincent Caccese, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
Ferland Engineering Education and Design Center, Room 252
Orono, ME 04469-5711
PhD in Civil Engineering from Drexel University, 1985
- Principal Engineer, Apex Engineering and Technologies Inc. 1992-present
- Chief Technical Officer, Alba-Technic, LLC, Fall 2017 University Sabbatical
- NASA-ASEE Summer Faculty Fellowship, Johnson Space Center, 1996 &1997
- Research Engineer, Applied Thermal Sciences, University Sabbatical, 2003-2004
- High School Science Teacher, Bangor Christian School, part-time, 2005 – 2008
Teaching Areas: (More Information)
Statics, Strength of Materials & Advanced Strength of Materials; Intro to the Finite Element Method; Advanced Finite Elements in Solid Mechanics; Theory of Plates and Shells
Research Areas: (More Information)
- Design, Testing and Analysis of Impact Attenuating Materials
- Design and Monitoring Systems for Assistive Devices
- Structural Testing, and Finite Element Analysis Computer Modeling
- Dynamic Systems Modeling and Testing
- Fatigue Response of Connections
- NIH, NSF, NASA, ONR, MTI, NSRP
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Development of protective head gear for fall prone elderly, Alba-Technic LLC/NIH, NSF
- AFARI and other stylized adaptive mobility devices, Mobility Technologies, LLC/NIH
- Inflatable structures, NASA
- Effect of overwelding on conventional and laser welded connections, Huntington Ingalls/ NSRP
- Laser welded ship panels and modular hybrid composite/metal ship connections for ship structures, ONR
Select Publications / Conference Presentations:
- Hajiaghamemar, M., Seidi, M., Ferguson, J.R., and Caccese V., , “Measurement of Head Impact due to Standing Falls in Adults Using Anthropomorphic Test Dummies,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 9, p. 2143.
- Caccese, V., Ferguson, J.R., Lloyd, J., Edgecomb, M.A., Seidi, M., and Hajiaghamemar, M.,  “Response of an Impact Test Apparatus for Fall Protective Headgear Testing Using a Hybrid-III Head/Neck Assembly,” Experimental Techniques, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 413-427.
- Glaser, R., and Caccese, V., , “Experimental Methods to Determine In-Plane Material Properties of Polyurethane-Coated Nylon Fabric,” Journal of The Textile Institute, Vol. 104, No. 7, pp. 682-698.
- Poirier, J.D., Vel, S.S., and Caccese, V., , “Multi-objective Optimization of Laser-welded Steel Sandwich Panels for Static Loads Using a Genetic Algorithm”, Engineering Structures, Vol. 49, pp. 508-524.
- Caccese, V., , “Fatigue in Laser Welds” in Failure Mechanisms of Advanced Welding Processes, Editor: Xin Sun, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Woodhead Publishing, ISBN 978-84569-450-0, pp. 218-257.
Professional Activities / Memberships:
- ASTM Committee on protective headgear