Michael T. Boyle, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Maine
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 213B
Orono, ME 04469-5711
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from The University of Connecticut, 1984
Intro to Mechanical Engineering; Statics; Dynamics; Thermodynamics I & II; Turbomachine Design; Macroscopic Thermodynamics
- Maine Space Grant Consortium, 2011
- NASA, 2010
- S. Department of Energy, 2001 – 2005
- River Valley Growth Council, 2003
- Bath Iron Works, 1999
- Merrill Air Technology, 1995
- USDA, 1995
- Textron Lycoming Corporation, 1984 – 1989
- Experimental Convection Heat Transfer
- Gas Turbine Aerodynamics
- Wind Tunnel Design and Testing
- Thermodynamic Analysis of Power Systems
- Steam and Gas Turbine Power Plant Analysis
- Textron, MSGC, USDOE, NASA
Select Research / Collaboration Activities:
- Secondary Flow in a Gas Turbine Vane Passage, Textron
- Endwall Convection Heat Transfer, Textron
- Convection Heat Transfer Distribution on a Rectangular Semiconductor Component, National Semiconductor
- Light Transmission and Passive Cooling of Flood Light Shrouds, Bath Iron Works
- Superheated Steam Drying, Merrill Air Technology
- Performance Prediction for a Hydro-Pneumatic Power Plant, Central Maine Power
Select Publications / Conference Presentations:
- Boyle, MT., “Dimensional Analysis for Package Designers,” Electronics Cooling, Volume 7, August 2001.
- Boyle, MT. and Leclair, SE., “The Effects of Secondary Flows on the Convective Heat Transfer from a Heated Block in an Airstream,” Presented at the 1997 ASME National Heat Transfer Conference and published in the proceedings.
- Boyle, MT. and Wardwell, SE., “The Three Dimensional Vortex System Near the Cover of a Rectangular Package Shape Mounted in a Duct”, Presented at the 1995 ASME National Heat Transfer Conference and published in the proceedings.
- Boyle, MT., Simonds, M., and Poon, K., “A Comparison of Secondary Flow in a Vane Cascade and a Curved Duct,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, October 1989 (also presented at 1988 ASME Winter Annual Meeting).
- Boyle, MT. and Langston, LS., “Asymmetrical Boundary Layer Separation at the Base of a Two-Cylinder Geometry,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, May 1989 (also presented at 1988 ASME/AIAA First National Fluid Dynamics Congress).
- Langston, LS. and Boyle, MT., “A New Surface-Streamline Flow-Visualization Technique,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 125, 1982.
- Weinstein, S., Bowley, W., Ho, T. and Boyle, MT., “Extensibility Characteristics of the Human Cheek: A Pilot Study,” Journal of Dental Research, 62(3), March 1983.