Adding J-2 dependent(s)

Dependents of J-1 scholars include spouses and children. J-2 dependents are allowed to stay in the U.S. in J-2 status for the duration of the J-1 scholar’s program. J-2 dependents are allowed to study part-time or full-time and can request U.S. work authorization

Domestic partners are not eligible for J-2 status and must obtain their own status in the U.S. (such as B visitor or business traveler, studying full-time in F-1 or J-1 status, or obtaining a work visa status through employment).

J-2 dependents are added to the J-1s SEVIS record and given their own DS-2019s.  They use the DS-2019s to apply for a J-2 visa at an embassy or consulate abroad, or to apply to change status in the U.S.

Keep in mind that there may be additional financial requirements in order to bring J-2 dependents to the US. If you submitted proof of funding for exactly $1,500 per month then you will need to report an additional $450 per month for the first dependent and an additional $150 for each dependent thereafter (so, to bring a spouse and two children it would require an additional $750 per month). This proof of funding should be uploaded to the J-2 dependent request form on Sunapsis.

To request DS-2019 forms for dependents, the J-1 scholar must complete the “J-2 Dependent information form” under J-1 Scholar Services in Sunapsis