Confirm Your Attendance
Congratulations and welcome to the UMaine Intensive English Institute! We’re excited to welcome you to the program. Before you get start, the first thing you’ll want to do is confirm your attendance to the program. You can find the link to the form below.
By completing the Enrollment Confirmation form you’ll notify us that you will attend the IEI Program.
Once this is completed, find below a list of things to complete before you arrive!
Important Information for Conditionally Admitted Students
What is Conditional Admission?
Students who meet the requirements of admission to their major, but need more English as a Second Language (ESL) work, are offered conditional admission. As a conditionally admitted student, you will enroll at the Intensive English Institute (IEI) as a part-time student and also take academic degree classes. You will have access to all University services and you are a UMaine student.
Benefits of Conditional Admission
- Small classes with dedicated teachers who are experts in working with international students.
- Introduction to UMaine, state of Maine and US culture through lectures, activities and workshops.
- Supportive, fun and engaging activities program outside of the classroom.
English Placement Test
When you arrive to UMaine, you will be tested for English Proficiency at the Intensive English Institute (IEI) to determine your level and combination of English language and academic degree classes
Sample Progression in the Maine Bridge Program
As a student’s English skills improve, with each new semester the number of ESL classes decreases and the number of academic classes increases.
Once the student reaches a good proficiency level and has received good grades in their academic classes, the IEI staff evaluates each student for matriculation into the academic program as a full-time student.
See a sample progression below. Each student moves through the levels based on their own skills and how much they dedicate to their studies. Regular class attendance, practicing outside of the classroom, living with native English speakers are some methods to improve your fluency.
Sample Undergraduate Program Progression
Sample Graduate Program Progression
You will be assigned an academic adviser from one of the teachers at the Intensive English Institute (IEI). The adviser will help you prepare to enter the Bridge program, select the appropriate academic courses while you are in the Bridge program, and successfully apply for matriculation into your academic program. IEI advisers also provide guidance on general UMaine services and transition you to the academic adviser in your major when you finish the IEI program and start your academic program.
Enrolling in Your Academic Program
Conditionally admitted students study at the IEI until they meet one of the following criteria:
- achieve a TOEFL score of 79 or score a 6.5 or higher on the IELTS exam
- achieve the passing score of the UMaine English Proficiency placement test offered by the Intensive English Institute
- are granted permission from the Director of the Office of International programs to fully enroll in their academic program.
Once the student reaches a good proficiency level and has received good grades in their academic classes, the IEI staff evaluates each student for matriculation into the academic program as a full-time student. At that point:
- the MaineStreet program is changed from IEI to the academic degree program
- the TOEFL hold in MaineStreet is removed
- the student is issued a new I-20 for the academic program
- and the merit scholarship is posted (if awarded).
The student also is assigned a new academic advisor in the new degree program.