While we want people to explore technology, safety is our number one priority for the Hackerspace. With this, please review our safety policies. Defer to the UMaine Student Handbook for additional campus code of conduct policies.
Report all Injuries/Incidents
- Immediately report ALL accidents, injuries, or incidents to Hackerspace staff.
- Immediately discontinue use of the tool(s) or equipment if it becomes unsafe, damaged, or is not working properly; notify Hackerspace staff.
Safe Conduct Agreement
- Prior to using any equipment patrons must agree to and sign the UM Hackerspace safety waiver Be sure to sign into your “@maine.edu” email account.
- Use the space and equipment safely and leave the space and equipment in clean and working condition.
- Work and behave in a way that protects your own safety and the safety of others.
- Children under the age of 18 years must be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
- Ask for help when you are uncertain how to use equipment.
- If you’re at all unsure how to use a piece of equipment ask a Hackerspace staff member for assistance.
- Safety is your top priority when using the Hackerspace. If you are not sure what to do, ask.
- Be aware of locations of first aid, fire, and safety equipment.
- Never use a tool unless you’ve been trained to use it safely.
- Do not climb on tables or chairs to reach for something.
- Do not work when tired or in a hurry. Be extra mindful of this around exam time!
- Do not cause a distraction, fool around, or startle anyone while either one of you is using a tool.
Use Protective Gear & Dress Right
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothing around moving or rotating machinery.
- Remove ties, jewelry, lanyards, etc., especially around moving or rotating machinery.
- Tie back long hair.
- Wear suitable gloves when handling hot objects or sharp-edged items.
- Closed toed shoes should be worn when using Hackerspace gear.
Use Tools Correctly
- Use tools how they are designed to be used. (A screwdriver is not a hammer.)
- Never use a broken tool. Report any broken tools or machinery to Hackerspace staff immediately.
- Do not remove tools from the Hackerspace.
- Never walk away from a tool that is still on/running.
- Never tamper with a tool’s safety features. Operate machinery according to recommended procedures and with safety guards in place, as applicable.
Food and Drinks
- Covered beverages are allowed in the main. Unattended beverages will be discarded by staff.
- If a spill occurs inform Hackerspace staff and clean up after yourself before leaving.
- Food is NOT permitted.
- Clean up after yourself; leave the area clean and tidy.
- Clean and return all tools to where you got them.
- Shut off and unplug machines when cleaning.
- Never use a rag/paper towel near moving equipment.
- Keep the floor around equipment clean, dry, and free from trip hazards.