Special Education — Area of Specialization
Special education teachers are in high demand in Maine and beyond. To meet this critical need and help serve Maine’s students, families and communities, the University of Maine, the University of Maine at Machias and the University of Maine at Augusta have teamed up to provide a comprehensive program that offers a pathway into the exciting and rewarding field of special education. The UMaine, UMM and UMA programs are aligned with state and national standards, and feature top-notch faculty adept at preparing educators to work with children who have exceptionalities.
University of Maine undergraduates majoring in elementary education can opt for an area of specialization in special education (24 credits). SED 302 is offered on campus at UMaine, all other courses will be completed online through the University of Maine at Machias.
The required courses are:
- SED 302 Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities
- SED 420 Special Education Law
- SED 425 Assessment in Special Education
- SED 435 Program Planning in Special Education
- SED 445 Behavior Support and Intervention
- SED 455 Transition Issues for Students with Disabilities
Plus two electives:
- SED 202 Communication and Collaboration in Special Education
- SED 330 Math Methods in Special Education
- SED 362 Typical and Atypical Expressive and Receptive Language
- SED 365 Differentiated Instructional Strategies
- SED 370 Teaching Reading and Writing to Children with Special Needs
- SED 380 Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
Students interested in further study in special education have the option of applying credits earned in the area of concentration to our 4+1 program. This program allows students to earn their bachelor’s degree and a Master of Education (M.Ed.) from UMaine in five years. For more information, visit the 4+1 Accelerated M.Ed. in Special Education page at UMaineOnline.
Tuition and fees
For current information about tuition and fees, please visit the Bursar’s office.
Visit go.umaine.edu for an application, as well as information about academics and life at UMaine.
For more information
To learn more about the undergraduate program in elementary education at UMaine, please contact the Advising Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about UMaine’s graduate program in special education, please contact program coordinator Sarah Howorth at 207.581.2448 or email@example.com.