Tara Flubacher: Outstanding Student in Exercise Science

Tara Flubacher outdoor portrait.Tara Flubacher of Winter Harbor, Maine is the 2023 Outstanding Student in Kinesiology and Physical Education, Exercise Science concentration in the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. An Honors College student, Tara’s honors thesis is titled “Developing Durable Health Promotion: The Connections Between Exercise Setting and Adherence to Exercise in College-Aged Women.” She will also graduate with a minor in human nutrition. During her time at UMaine, Tara has also been a peer tutor in anatomy and physiology, and a rehabilitation technician at Back in Motion Physical Therapy.

Hometown: Winter Harbor, ME

High School: Sumner Memorial High School

Parent: Marcella Flubacher

Special thanks: Thank you to Dr. Lauren Jacobs, who took me in as an advisee for my thesis without having known me or had me in class. Your guidance throughout the thesis process has been greatly appreciated, and I’m so thankful for all your help and support within the past year. Thank you to my friends and family for supporting me over the last four years and three more to come.

Favorite UMaine memory: My favorite memory from UMaine was definitely the Adapted Physical Education Lab. Having the opportunity to work with another person allowed us to practice and become confident in our skills, while helping other people. It was a very rewarding experience.