M.S. Degree (non-thesis)

EES provides a non-thesis option for students who need advanced coursework in ecology and environmental sciences to meet their career goals and who want to work in a less research-oriented capacity. This option is considered a terminal degree. Graduate research assistantships (RAs) are often available for students accepted for the thesis option but are usually not available for those accepted to the non-thesis option. Graduate teaching assistantships (TAs) may be available for those accepted into the non-thesis option.

For the M.S. degree (non-thesis option) in Ecology and Environmental Sciences, the student must complete a minimum of 30 credits of coursework (twelve credits 500 level or above and 1-2 seminar credits), as determined by the student and their graduate advisory committee. The Graduate Coordinator will review the coursework for its rigor, interdisciplinarity, and ecology and environmental sciences focus.

It is recommended that students select a graduate advisory committee, in consultation with their advisor, and submit a Program of Study to the graduate advisory committee and EES Graduate Coordinator by the end of the first semester of study. It recommended that the graduate advisory committee be composed of a minimum of three faculty from at least two different home departments.

Non-thesis M.S. students will be required to present a capstone project and pass an oral examination at the end of their degree. Questions for the exam will focus on the capstone project, as well as a synthesis of ecological and environmental sciences concepts relating to the student’s program of study and will be developed by the student’s graduate advisory committee. Questions will be graded Pass/Fail. The student will be given two chances to pass the oral examination. Exceptions will be granted only after consultation with the EES Graduate Coordinator and the student’s graduate advisory committee. Upon successful completion of the requirements, the student will receive the non-thesis M.S. degree in Ecology and Environmental Sciences.

Students will be expected to meet all general requirements of the Graduate School not explicitly indicated here. Students wishing to petition for modification of any of the degree requirements specific to the program of Ecology and Environmental Sciences must make a formal written request to their advisory committee and the EES Graduate Coordinator for approval.