Student Resources

To register for Fall 2024 classes, please check this page.

For typical Spring classes, please check this page.

For prospective DSE students:

  • You can apply for the program here.
  • The DSE program has rolling enrollments. International students are usually accepted up to two month before the start of the first semester. U.S. based students are accepted up to 2 weeks before the start of the semester.  We recommend to start in the Fall semester since the course sequence builds with the Fall semester and the foundation courses are currently offered once per school year.
  • A common question of prospective students is about available funding and graduate assistantships.
    • Financial support is highly competitive and prioritized for students in thesis programs.  Limited partial scholarships are available for highly qualified students (First Class honors or Second Class honors- upper division)  in nonthesis master’s degree programs.
    • It is recommended to find a thesis advisor and a potential graduate assistantship for thesis-MS before applying for the DSE program.
    • The Graduate School has this page on their website which, at the bottom, has a list of positions that were sent  by various departments.
    • Additionally, the university has a CareerLink resource which allows you to browse various job listings, including assistantships.
  • We do not offer application fee waivers.

For first semester DSE students:

  • Please use your email address since all official contact will be done via this email address.
  • New, first semester DSE student need to contact their academic advisor and discuss the selection of their first semester courses. Once the courses are selected, the student will activated and enrolled in the courses via the Graduate School.
    • Please fill out and submit this form.

For DSE students:

Once you are passed the initial enrollment the following applies to you for the following semesters.

  • After the initial enrollment, you can self-service enroll in courses using Mainestreet.
    • Please check with the Grad School for more information here.
    • You can enroll in and drop courses.
    • Note, that each semester, courses usually can be added until the end of the first semester week, and dropped for a full refund until about 3 weeks after the beginning of the semester.
  • Course enrollment for the following semester starts
    • around end the end October for the Spring semester and
    • April for the Summer and Fall semester.
  • Note, that courses fill up quickly and register early.
  • International students need to enroll in at least one in-person course for visa purposes.
  • Before contacting your academic advisor to determine the courses for the following semester, please fill out or update your program of study spreadsheet (below) and send it along to your advisor when requesting a meeting.
  • To track your progress in your program please use one of the following program of study sheets:
  • If you plan to do a DSE589 Graduate Project course or a DSE590 Internship course in the following, please contact the DSE Director Dr. Nittel ahead of time. Approval for both courses is necessary.


  • Taking courses at other UM campuses:
    • You will register as a non-degree student at the other campuses to take a course. Please check the contact information below.
    • If you have financial support (such as a graduate assistantship), please fill out and submit a Domestic Study away form. (form)
    • If you do not have financial support via UM, please contact Emily Kuhlmann ( at the end of the semester to transfer the credit to UMaine. She will ask you to fill out a program of study, including the transferred credit.
    • For courses at USM, please contact:
    • For courses at UMA, please contact:

For graduating DSE students:

Checklist for graduating students:

  • In the semester before your graduation, please contact the DSE Director with your current program of study spreadsheet to check your program progress.
  • You also need to fill out an official program of study that is signed by you and the DSE Director. She will submit it to the Graduate School. The forms can be found here:
    • Program of Study for MS:  link
    • Program of Study for Graduate Certificate: link
  • Students must be registered for at least 1 CR in the semester they plan to graduate.
  • In the semester you plant to graduate, you need to apply for Graduation on Mainestreet. Please check for more information on the graduation process the Graduate School website
  • Note the deadlines for application for graduation.