The MaineMBA prepares leaders to move through the volatile and rapidly changing markets with innovation and agility. The highly qualified business faculty from the University of Maine and the University of Southern Maine collaborate to deliver the innovative MaineMBA that educates leaders to be creative and strategic thinkers, to solve complex problems, and to lead, manage, and communicate with the business environment.
MaineMBA students can engage in cross-disciplinary opportunities through the University of Maine Graduate & Professional Center which brings together programs in business, law, policy, and public health.
Complete Eight (8) Core Courses
- Strategic Data Analysis (BUA 601)
- Global Supply Chain Networks (MBA 637)
- Financial Statement Analysis (MBA 609)
- Foundations of Business Intelligence (BUA 680)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (MBA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (MBA 670)
- Strategic Decision Making (MBA 649)
- Financial Management (MBA 651)
Choose Two (2) Electives
- Knowledge Management & Decision Support Systems
- International Field Study
- MBA Internship
- Independent Study
- Services Management
- Analytics for Managers
- Information Visualization
- Investment Management
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Idea Generation and New Product Development
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years.
- Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MAT) may be substituted if taken within five years.
- The GMAT is waived for domestic (U.S.) applicants with a PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree.
- The GMAT may be waived for strong domestic (U.S.) candidates with five or more years of post-graduate professional or military experience, including:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Leadership of work teams
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills
To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form. GMAT waivers are not available for international applicants or applicants requesting a graduate assistantship.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Members of any State of Maine Chamber of Commerce
- MaineMBA Preferred Partners employees
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume
- A brief essay (prompt below)
- GMAT scores or Approved GMAT Waiver (see below)
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores. Waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL programs.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation.
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of passport or visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred. GMAT waivers are available for qualified students (see below)
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or IELTS minimum of 6.5.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Additional Application Information
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework or tutorials in the following areas is required:
- accounting (financial and managerial)
- economics (macro and micro)
Non-business undergraduates can complete foundational skills via self-paced tutorials prior to starting MBA courses.
Recommenders should be able to comment on your academic strengths, work ethic, responsibilities, accomplishments, career advancement, managerial experience, or ability to be successful in the MaineMBA.
Application Essay Prompt
Submit an essay describing your motivation for pursuing the MaineMBA. The essay is evaluated not only for content, but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. Your essay should be a minimum of one but no more than two pages, double spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1″ margins.