The MaineMBA prepares leaders to move through the volatile and rapidly changing markets with innovation and agility. We educate MBA candidates to be creative and strategic thinkers, to solve complex problems, and to lead, manage, and communicate with the business environment.
The University of Maine Graduate School of Business recognizes the additional pressures facing our applicants amid the Covid-19 outbreak. In solidarity with our future students and our global community, the MaineMBA is:
- Waiving all GMAT exam requirements for all domestic applicants with a 3.0 GPA or above until May 1*.
- Allowing admission deferrals up to two calendar years for any admitted MaineMBA student.
- Offering one-on-one and small-group virtual information sessions, chats with current students, and Q&A calls daily.
- Waiving application fees for Maine system graduates, US Armed Forces Service Members, and members of any Maine Chamber of Commerce.
Your individual situation may permit additional accommodations. Schedule a virtual meeting at email@example.com or call us at 207-581-1973.
* International applicants and all applicants seeking assistantships or merit-based scholarships may work with us to populate their scores on a case-by-case basis.
Complete Eight (8) Core Courses
- Statistical Analysis and Modeling for Organizational Operations (BUA 601)
- Creating Digital Value (MBA 605) or Elective
- Financial Statement Analysis (MBA 609)
- Law, Business and Society (MBA 620)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (MBA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (MBA 670)
- Management Policy (MBA 649)
- Financial Management (MBA 651)
Choose Two (2) Electives
- Knowledge Management & Decision Support Systems
- International Field Study
- MBA Internship
- Independent Study
- Services Management
- Analytics for Managers
- Information Visualization
- Investment Management
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Idea Generation and New Product Development
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume
- A brief essay (prompt below)
- GMAT scores or Approved GMAT Waiver (see below)
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores. Waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL programs.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation.
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of passport or visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- All prerequisites for the MBA with a grade of B- or better.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred. GMAT waivers are available for qualified students (see below)
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or IELTS minimum of 6.5.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Additional Application Information
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework in the following areas is required:
- accounting (financial and managerial)
- economics (macro and micro)
- statistics (covering topics through linear regression)
However, prospective students are encouraged to apply for the MaineMBA prior to completing foundation courses. Non-business undergraduates can complete foundation courses online concurrently with their MBA courses through the following options:
- Intro to Managerial and Financial Accounting (BUA 400)
- Micro and Macroeconomics (ECO 410)
- Finance Tutorial (not for credit)
- Management Tutorial (not for credit)
- Marketing Tutorial (not for credit)
Recommenders should be able to comment on your academic strengths, work ethic, responsibilities, accomplishments, career advancement, managerial experience, or ability to be successful in the MaineMBA.
Application Essay Prompt
Submit an essay describing your motivation for pursuing the MaineMBA. The essay is evaluated not only for content, but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. Your essay should be a minimum of one but no more than two pages, double spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1″ margins.
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years.
- Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MAT) may be substituted if taken within five years.
- The GMAT is waived for applicants with a PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree.
- The GMAT may be waived for strong candidates with five or more years of post-graduate professional or military experience, including:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Leadership of work teams
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills
To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form. GMAT waivers are not available for international applicants or applicants requesting a graduate assistantship.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Members of any State of Maine Chamber of Commerce
- MaineMBA Preferred Partners employees
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)